News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rotatone Issues

Started by Tribune, December 30, 2010, 05:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoniac

Thank you for the link Tribune. I have no main terminal box in the attic. That's were the line comes in that serves all the lines in the house. It's been disconnected from the main line coming in and connected to the Cable Phone modem. I have no way of knowing how the separate lines are hooked together. I reckon I could run separate lines but, what a mess that could turn out to be. I'm a bit disabled so climbing around in the attic and snake'en wires through the walls is just a bit too much for this old fart.

Jim Stettler

I would run a couple* {4-5 {16-20 pairs} or a 25 pair cable}of 4 pair between the attic and your 616 (Spare pairs and service loops are wonderful things), Split off the pairs in the attic (@ the hatch) the best you can. Each extension can handle 4 REN.

I would probably use a 66 block with RJ 11 break-outs as an interface. These usually are 16  1 pair RJ 11 jacks on a 66 block (1/2 blocks for those with 308's).

Your jacks get punched down and you use the RJ11 to connect to select the  extension.

Run the extra extensions to your phone bench.
JMO,
Jim

Another thought.
Assign yourself an extension and use your 4 Ren in 4 different  locations.
ie: Basement, Garage, Phone room, bedroom
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Phoniac

Quote from: Jim S. on January 19, 2011, 07:11:45 PM
I would run a couple* {4-5 {16-20 pairs} or a 25 pair cable}of 4 pair between the attic and your 616 (Spare pairs and service loops are wonderful things), Split off the pairs in the attic (@ the hatch) the best you can. Each extension can handle 4 REN.

I would probably use a 66 block with RJ 11 break-outs as an interface. These usually are 16  1 pair RJ 11 jacks on a 66 block (1/2 blocks for those with 308's).

Your jacks get punched down and you use the RJ11 to connect to select the  extension.

JMO,
Jim

Another thought.
Assign yourself an extension and use your 4 Ren in 4 different  locations.

LOL! I'm sorry, as I mentioned awhile back I'm not that all familiar with the jargon of the phone tech. RJ11 and Rens I understand but 4-5 16-20 pairs and correct me if'en I'm wrong sounds like 4-5 cables of 16-20 wires (strands) in each cable. The rest you really lost me on.
You know sometimes it's just better If I figure this out for myself. The worst that could happen is it wont work.
Electricity I understand from workin on everything from toasters to motors but phones sometimes can be a bit confusing specially with the dial and the contact last thing.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Phoniac on January 19, 2011, 04:02:11 PM
Less then one pound? $14 USD Now that's my kinda price! I have to admit I paid almost 5 times that much with shipping included.

Phoniac: I think your currency converter has a loose wire somewhere, most likely in the dial or network!
1 British Pound  =  $1.59 US$ today. The total price including shipping that GPO706 quoted is 17 pounds shipping and 99P purchase price. 17.99 GBP = $28.69 US$.

Terry

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Phoniac on January 19, 2011, 07:41:54 PM
Quote from: Jim S. on January 19, 2011, 07:11:45 PM

I would probably use a 66 block with RJ 11 break-outs as an interface. These usually are 16  1 pair RJ 11 jacks on a 66 block (1/2 blocks for those with 308's).

Your jacks get punched down and you use the RJ11 to connect to select the  extension.

JMO,
Jim

Another thought.
Assign yourself an extension and use your 4 Ren in 4 different  locations.

LOL! I'm sorry, as I mentioned awhile back I'm not that all familiar with the jargon of the phone tech. RJ11 and Rens I understand but 4-5 16-20 pairs and correct me if'en I'm wrong sounds like 4-5 cables of 16-20 wires (strands) in each cable. The rest you really lost me on.
You know sometimes it's just better If I figure this out for myself. The worst that could happen is it wont work.
Electricity I understand from workin on everything from toasters to motors but phones sometimes can be a bit confusing specially with the dial and the contact last thing.

I understand where you are coming from.

Step 1
Run 4 or 5 sections of modern 4 conductor phone wire between the attic location and the 616. Leave several feet of spare wire at each end.  There are easy ways to "hide" the wire if needed. Ask if you need hints.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Phoniac

Quote from: ae_collector on January 19, 2011, 09:12:40 PM
Quote from: Phoniac on January 19, 2011, 04:02:11 PM
Less then one pound? $14 USD Now that's my kinda price! I have to admit I paid almost 5 times that much with shipping included.

Phoniac: I think your currency converter has a loose wirte somewhere, most likely in the dial or network!
1 British Pound  =  $1.59 US$ today. The total price including shipping that GPO706 quoted is 17 pounds shipping and 99P purchase price. 17.99 GBP = $28.69 US$.

Terry
It wouldn't be the first time I got my wires crossed. Did I tell ya I was a math major. LOL!

Phoniac

I understand where you are coming from.

Step 1
Run 4 or 5 sections of modern 4 conductor phone wire between the attic location and the 616. Leave several feet of spare wire at each end.  There are easy ways to "hide" the wire if needed. Ask if you need hints.

Jim
[/quote]

Jim, I appreciate your help and I don't want to sound dense but I'm still not understanding here.
I have one 4 conductor line in the attic that leads to all the outlets. Are you saying to get a terminal block that I can use to, so to speak, splice these 4 or 5  four conductor leads to the one and lead them to the 616? I don't understanding why I need 6 inputs to the 616.
I have a cable modem so I will need to go between it and the line that leads to the outlets and then have 4-5 leads from it, the 616, to the separate phones and work bench. Yes? No?
If I'm not understanding you it's because some things I have a hard time communicating and comprehending in the written word. I'm a verbal and doing kinda of fellow, not a reader or writer.
Yes, I know! a forum is not the best place for me. LOL
After I receive the 616, I'll look it over real good and the manual and I'll probably will have a much better understanding and see a completer picture. Right now I cant see my rear because of my nose.

gpo706

UK 616's have the BT 4 wire POTS line input, so I can't comment on US line-in.

I think your best solution is plug your POTS into the 616 and run cable to every room in the house you are putting a phone in and plug up your RJ11's from socket (UK) 21 to 36, that way each room has its own PBX extention (eg 21 office, 22 kitchen etc) when you're all wired up, you lift a handset and dial 21 to 36 for any phone in the house as an internal extention through the PBX.

The default settings will assign an incoming call to ring all connected extentions, if you want to vary this you need to get a "programming" Pana phone to set up your preferences, like day and night ringing ports or no ringing on whatever extentions you choose.

I don't know about the modem I have ADSL and it can cause lots of hassles on UK phonecos.

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

kdpezz

Ok I had a rotatone installed through old phone works and it still doesn't
Work...have Comcast digital...what can I do?? Don't want
To send it back to Canada again...can I get the rotatone removed somehow? I purchased a dialgizmo but Won't Work bc if the rotatone....what can I do?  What is this Panasonic
Thing?  Can I use It With the rotatone still in place?? I've put a lot of money in so far ...frustraed...thank you!  Sorry I am a nurse not a tech person...extremely ignorant about this sort of thing which is why I sent it out...I know oldphoneworks is frustrated as it worked fine on their end...they offered to look at it again but what if they can't figure it out ...still out a lot of shipping
T

HarrySmith

If you can post good, clear pictures of the inside of the phone showing the wiring in detail we can probably help get it working.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

kdpezz

I don't know if these are helpful but I can do better if need...I don't know if it matters that we can only get dial tone etc when we connect red to green.  Can make calls once then can't get it to work again ...same happens when you call in.  I don't know if the rotatone is the issue....I've tried all the trouble majoring I can with comcast...I don't know if it matters that I have an arris modem...(I've read countless threads I don't know what's important anymore)...thank you for your response!