and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SNET Carpenter's square

Started by Sargeguy, November 01, 2015, 12:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Interesting carpenter's square on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371469267790?

It is marked with an 1895-1908 Bell logo with "RATES DAY 25¢ NIGHT 15¢ THE SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND TELEPHONE COMPANY-US THE METALLIC CIRCUIT TO ALL POINTS IN CONN"

Odd that it does not appear to be lined with any length markings.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

I would hazard a guess it is not a carpenters square, Without any measurement marking it would not be very useful as such. Also the shorter arm seems to be a little too short from my memory of one.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

unbeldi

You got the marking when you made a telephone call for 25 pennies.

But seriously, it is a promotional tool, and may still have some use for squaring joints, drawing lines, and what not.

HarrySmith

Wasn't there a special tool for leveling off coins in a full payphone coin box that looks like that?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 01, 2015, 09:05:48 PM
Wasn't there a special tool for leveling off coins in a full payphone coin box that looks like that?
Yes and at payphone school they used a clear coin box to demonstrate how coins could stack and how to level them.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Sargeguy

I think this one might be too old for that purpose.  Also, it looks exactly like one of my old squares (same proportions, same hole location).  I am interested to see what the back has on it, maybe that is where it is ruled.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here us a scan of the item.  It is as described and there are no marks on the back.  The item is non-ferrous, it does not attract a magnet.  Probably nickel-plated brass from the looks of it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Have you tried the metallic circuit to CONN yet?

It may be more of a challenge today than it was 100 years ago.

Probably need to call the operator for assistance so the call won't go via fiber.

May I have Conn. please via metallic circuit?   ....  One moment, please.  Your number?

Sargeguy

Probably more like 125 years ago.  I think that switching over to the the "innovation" of a two-wire vs. grounded circuit occurred between 1885-1900,  SNET appears to have been one of the earlier adopters of the technology:

QuoteAnd in 1882, the company was reorganized, yet again, as the  Southern New England Telephone Company. Much expansion was envisioned for the company. Two developments soon put a damper on the intended growth. The widespread introduction of electricity caused interference on the telephone lines. The problem necessitated a costly solution - the connection of every customer with "metallic circuits": two copper wires rather then a single iron one. This also required the replacement of every switchboard. The second development was the failure of the New York-Boston line. The line was sold to the newly incorporated long-distance company, American Telephone & Telegraph.  SNET also sold off its  Massachusetts holdings for much needed capitol and made the decision to limit its operations to  Connecticut.
http://doddcenter.uconn.edu/asc/findaids/SNET/MSS19970122.html

The "Local & Long Distance" bell logo dates from 1895-1908, but my guess is that it would be on the early side of that range.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 09, 2015, 04:42:37 PM
Probably more like 125 years ago.  I think that switching over to the the "innovation" of a two-wire vs. grounded circuit occurred between 1885-1900,  SNET appears to have been one of the earlier adopters of the technology:

QuoteAnd in 1882, the company was reorganized, yet again, as the  Southern New England Telephone Company. Much expansion was envisioned for the company. Two developments soon put a damper on the intended growth. The widespread introduction of electricity caused interference on the telephone lines. The problem necessitated a costly solution - the connection of every customer with "metallic circuits": two copper wires rather then a single iron one. This also required the replacement of every switchboard. The second development was the failure of the New York-Boston line. The line was sold to the newly incorporated long-distance company, American Telephone & Telegraph.  SNET also sold off its  Massachusetts holdings for much needed capitol and made the decision to limit its operations to  Connecticut.
http://doddcenter.uconn.edu/asc/findaids/SNET/MSS19970122.html

The "Local & Long Distance" bell logo dates from 1895-1908, but my guess is that it would be on the early side of that range.

Yes, that sounds about right.
I only tried to throw up a large number to avoid the fiber, microwave, and radio age.

Sargeguy

According to this New York Times article from July 9, 1889 it was up and running that year:

QuoteCONNECTICUT'S METALLIC CIRCUIT.

NEW-HAVEN. July 8.-The Southern New England Telephone Company has completed a metallic circuit or double-wire service
throughout its territory in Connecticut. The new service is similar to the Long-distance service now in use throughout the country. and
differs from the old system of grounded circuit in that the connections are made over a pair of wires looped together instead of connecting on a single grounded wire. The results are said to be materially better than over the old style of grounded circuit.

I guess since they spent so much money on it, they felt the need to brag about it for a few years afterwards.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 09, 2015, 05:06:26 PM
According to this New York Times article from July 9, 1889 it was up and running that year:

QuoteCONNECTICUT'S METALLIC CIRCUIT.

NEW-HAVEN. July 8.-The Southern New England Telephone Company has completed a metallic circuit or double-wire service
throughout its territory in Connecticut. The new service is similar to the Long-distance service now in use throughout the country. and
differs from the old system of grounded circuit in that the connections are made over a pair of wires looped together instead of connecting on a single grounded wire. The results are said to be materially better than over the old style of grounded circuit.

I guess since they spent so much money on it, they felt the need to brag about it for a few years afterwards.

Someone must have got their ink mixed up.  A single grounded wire is only good for lightning protection.

Sargeguy

That's why the metallic circuit works so much better
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

G-Man

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 01, 2015, 09:05:48 PM
Close but no cigar...

The 139B coin leveling tool provided both a way of leveling coins and by means of its calibrated scale and slider, an approximation of how full the coin box is. 

I have combined two entries regarding it from BSP 506-100-103 and have attached it below.