"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telephone signs...reference book

Started by Signguy, December 23, 2015, 02:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Signguy

« on: Today at 01:34:27 PM »

Its been over a year since I penned the following post. I am quite surprised (or maybe not surprised) that nobody has come up with any examples of these "supposed" signs. I am still am under the notion that a lot of the signs
in the book do NOT exist. If proof lurks out there somewhere please post so
that I can have something to shoot for in my quest for a new sign..

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Cheers.... Ell

"Ever see a photo, or know of anyone that has a .... West Palm Beach....Pauling Home Telephone....Home tel&tel Pay Station (I know of one Home tel&tel of Spokane 11X11).... Perry telephone......Coos telephone.....New York and Penn 08 bell)...N.J Bell Lebanon, NJ.....  and others that have never been seen or photographed.

If anyone has, or knows of any of these and other NEVER seen signs, please let me  know
so that I can say I was wrong. In fact I would love to stand corrected. (Please send pictures)

If anyone has what they believe to be a one of a kind or VERY rare sign PLEASE let me know.
Please send picture if possible. I have tried, at various times since the late 1960's, to research
many signs rumored to exist and reached many a dead end. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.... Ell"

Doug Rose

Ell....welcome back! I thought we had lost you....Merry Christmas....Doug
Kidphone

Signguy

Doug..... Still alive and kicking and enjoying winter. Been on the road a lot over the last year in search of elusive collectables.
Like our daughter in Connecticut I guess you are enjoying some un-winter like
weather.

Merry Christmas

Ell & Carol

Fabius

I believe Paul Engleke (sp?), who lived in Florida at the time of his passing, had a West Palm Beach sign. He also had the only 1921 Bell 11x11  "Bell Telephone of Nevada" I have ever seen. Paul was collecting telephone signs way before it was popular.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Signguy

I bought a lot of Paul's signs including the Nevada that you mentioned.
If he had a West Palm Beach I never saw it. If he did, someone out there has it
and it would be great to see. Another collector friend of mine got other signs from Paul and says he never saw that particular sign when I just checked with him.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Cheers..... Ell

Fabius

Didn't a lot of Paul's stuff go to A.W. Merrill (sp?) or was it the other way around? I believe Alan (forgot last name) in Lake Worth FL get some of it?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Signguy

There was a problem in the family when Paul died so its hard to say where some of the signs went. Some were sold to gas and oil collectors who bought some along with the oil stuff.
Alan Colburn did buy some of the signs and I got some more from him.
Don't know if AW got any from the family but I think Paul did get some from him over the years.

Cheers........ Ell

Fabius

I wonder if Alan is still active collecting signs? I had got a nice Illinois Commercial Telephone Company sign from him years ago.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Signguy

I bought all of Alans good signs a few years ago. He collects other things but has not gotten back into signs. I knew Alan when he was a teenager (don't think he even had a drivers license at the time) and now hes in his 50's. Boy, time flies.

Payphone installer

Inter-Mountain Telephone Company Sign

Payphone installer

Nevada Telephone Company Sign

Payphone installer

Other side 16 1/2 by 12

Signguy

GREAT SIGNS.....Never saw the intermountain with the Bell System logo. Saw another Nevada of that style (Pac Tel) but VERY rare as you know..... Thanks for the post. Any other rare signs to share?

Cheers.... Ell

rdelius

I had a Intermountain like the one shown but it got stolen was nicer cond too. Intermountain telephone was in Kingsport Tn and later intermountain signs has a gold bell instead of blue.Called intermittant telephone by the locals.Went dial in early 50s with a SC XY switch.Exchange was Circle 7 of Circle 5

Signguy

I believe that Intermountain of Tennessee was formed in the late 20's but that would not have prevented them from using the 08 Bell logo. There were other intermountain Tel Cos around the country but have never seen a sign. I have had many of the later Intermountain telephone signs but never knew those early hubcaps/buttons existed. Very happy to get that information. We can never stop learning. Have you seen others? Thank you for sharing.

Cheers..... Ell