News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Magneto Problems

Started by HarrySmith, April 30, 2022, 05:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I am working on a woodie and I am going to be using the maneto to ring the ringer. This is the first time I have ever tried to work with one. I took the shafts out because it was very hard to turn. They were gunked up with many years of old grease & oil. I cleaned the 4 rotating points and lubed them with Moly lube. I got it back together and now it spins nicely. I hooked up my multi meter  but do not get any readings. I tried hooking it to the ringer and also get nothing. I also cleaned the contacts with WE bond paper. I do not see where the power is supposed to come from. Is there any connection points inside? The ringer is marked 50F if that matters.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

tubaman

Perhaps some photos of the offending magneto would assist here Harry?

HarrySmith

ok. Pictures attached.
I am thinking the only thing I did was to lube it. I did not take the magnets apart or even loosen the mounting screws for them. Is it possible the grease I used is insulating the shafts? What is the proper lube for it? I used a Moly lube.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

countryman

Will the shaft with the crank move horizontally when you turn it and operate the contacts on the far end? Does the magneto turn freely or do you feel a certain resistance?
The contacts will short out the armature in normal position, and open when turned.

HarrySmith

Yes, the shaft moves to push the contact spring. It spins feely with little to no resistance.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

countryman

I'd suggest to check if the armature winding is still conductive. In the worst case it might be interrupted. Do you have a multimeter / Ohm meter? Any cheap one will do.

HarrySmith

Already checked that. It is good. I also checked the magnet polarity, they are installed properly.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

countryman

Great, so it will all come down to contact issues? Try contact cleaner spray, and sliding a cardboard slip through the points to clean them? Any short circuit should result in a hard cranking magneto.

I had a hard time with a receiver lately until I found the magnet laminations were mismatched  :-\ (wrong polarity) so it was very wise to check that, too.

HarrySmith

Already checked contact operation and cleaned them with WE bond paper. I also checked the magnets yesterday, all good. I really  have no idea what the issue is here. I guess I am going to disassemble it again, remove & inspect armature, remove all the Moly grease and see what happens. In the meantime I have others I can use in this project. I will test them first!

It took me years to figure out it was a good idea to test a phone before starting the restoration. A few were no good and the time I spent restoring was wasted. I did end up with some clean shiny spare parts though :o
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"