News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Design Line telephones. Do you collect them?

Started by BDM, September 20, 2008, 03:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Ok, how many collect the Design Line phones that were offered by Ma Bell? I know some are still around today. But I'm talking the true-blue W.E. models. Without going into a history lesson on these, have a look here.
http://www.porticus.org/bell/telephones-designline.html ( dead link 05-02-21 )

I have most of them in most colors and dial offerings. All of them are W.E. manufactured as far as the electrical portions go. Most of them had shells that were produced by ATC(American Telecommunications Corporation), who in turn, also produced the same shells for telco's outside of Ma Bell. Anyhoot, here is one I had handy for a cheap photo shoot.

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Mark Stevens

Quote from: BDM on September 20, 2008, 03:38:53 AM
Ok, how many collect the Design Line phones that were offered by Ma Bell? I know some are still around today. But I'm talking the true-blue W.E. models. Without going into a history lesson on these, have a look here.
http://www.porticus.org/bell/telephones-designline.html

Thank you for sharing!  I must confess that I don't know much about them.  Any other collectors out there?

Bill Cahill

Well, I don't collect them now, but, many years ago during that time line, in the 80's, I bought new an ATT design line  push button phone in an oak case.
It had a WE style handset that hung up on a pot metal cradle at the side.  It only lasted a year, then, died.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Bill Cahill on September 20, 2008, 11:03:59 AM
It had a WE style handset that hung up on a pot metal cradle at the side.  It only lasted a year, then, died.
Bill Cahill

So I'm guessing that these phones were manufactured in some god-forsaken foreign country, am I right?

benhutcherson

I don't own any.

I will admit, however, that I came across a Country Junction phone at a flea market the other day, and was really tempted by it. I hadn't seen one in person before, and they're really very nice looking phones.

I passed on this one because of the price($50, which I thought was a bit much), but will probably pick one up if I find one for a better price.

McHeath

I only have one, the Snoopy and Woodstock phone which I just bought a few weeks ago.  It's a rotary model, and I paid $7.50 for it.  It was made in the US of A in mid 78', all the internals are borrowed from either the 2554 series or Trimline and or Princess it seems.  I've seen a few of the others from the series for sale at various junk/antique stores and they usually want both arms and one leg, and have all been pretty well worn down.  The model I see the most is the Mickey Mouse Phone, and they usually want in the $150 range here in Kawleefornya.  

BDM

Quote from: Mark Stevens on September 20, 2008, 11:37:47 AM
Bill Cahill

So I'm guessing that these phones were manufactured in some god-forsaken foreign country, am I right?

By the 1980s, yes. More or less. I stick with the true-blue Design Line sets manufactured in the 70s.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Bill Cahill

Quote from: BDM on September 20, 2008, 01:48:00 PM
Quote from: Mark Stevens on September 20, 2008, 11:37:47 AM
Bill Cahill

By the 1980s, yes. More or less. I stick with the true-blue Design Line sets manufactured in the 70s.

It was an ATT phone, but, if I remember correctly, yes, it was made in china.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

mienaichizu

I'm not into collecting Design Line Phones but I was planning to purchase a Red Trimline. It is sold for only $6.00

HELLO CENTRAL

I have one!  It's the Country Line model.  Too bad, it's not rotary! :-\
HELLO CENTRAL.

BDM

Quote from: HELLO CENTRAL on September 21, 2008, 09:20:24 PM
I have one!  It's the Country Line model.  Too bad, it's not rotary! :-\

Yes, I have one of the early versions from the mid 70s. Rotary. Looks great mounted on the wall. Probably ranks as one of my favorite Design Line phones. Heavy, quality feel, great sound quality as always.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

Those Country Line phones appear to be getting hot on eBay.  Especially if they have the matching accessory shelf that could be mounted beneath the phone.
= DARRIN =

HELLO CENTRAL

When I obtained mine this Summer, I went online looking for info about it. If no one else has the info, I'll upload it?
HELLO CENTRAL.

BDM

Plenty of general info on them all over the NET including the link I posted. But if you're talking about actual statistics on sales and manufacture, may be a tough road, but not impossible.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Saw a Country Junction model at a local junk store recently, odd to see it there as they usually never have any phone stuff of note there.  They wanted 20 dollars for it, and it seemed to all be there, certainly was made well and had a date from the late 70s as memory serves.  That was the same day I bought the Snoopy/Woodstock phone from the same store, so they must have got in some stuff from someone who loaded up on Design Line phones in the Carter Admin era.  Next time I was at the store the Country Junction was gone.