News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Verizon Home Phone Connect

Started by George Knighton, January 13, 2013, 10:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Knighton

Am I correct that Verizon Home Phone Connect would not work with pulse dialing?

I don't see any talk about it.
Annoying new poster.

AE_Collector

George Knighton

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 13, 2013, 10:22:48 PM
George:

Have you looked around in this section:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=57.0

Terry

Yes, and I searched.

The forum software doesn't seem to allow for searching in strings.

vBulletin and most software allows searching for something like "Verizon Home Phone Connect," but this software does not.

I've managed vBulletin and Zeroforum servers, but not anything called SMF or Simple Machines.  I guess the point of software like that is to allow you to get online without spending much money.  The down side is a lack of features, including searching in strings.

Of course, the downside of software like vBulletin is that once you buy it, it's yours to hang yourself with.  The back end of vBulletin is so complicated and so full of features that you can really bog down your site so badly that you annoy your membership enough that they start to go elsewhere.

If you give somebody a feature, he has to play with it.

I gather from checking elsewhere that the answer to my question is no, Verizon Home Phone Connect does not allow for pulse dialing, and there is no firmware switch to throw that would allow it.

But we can still put it through our cheap Panasonic PBX and achieve the result of allowing pulse dialing, effectively.

:-)
Annoying new poster.

old_stuff_hound

There's always the option of the external search engine -- go to google and enter your search terms followed by:
site:classicrotaryphones.com

That'll search just this forum for those terms.

BTW, searching for:
"Verizon Home Phone Connect" site:classicrotaryphones.com
..didn't turn up much.

AE_Collector

What is "Verizon Home Phone Connect" ? Is it VOIP Dial Tone offered on Fiber to the Home?

I recall discussion on here in the past about Dial Tone by one of the ILEC companies being VOIP on either ADSL or Fiber to the Home. I can't recal lwhich now. Here in BC we proviode Dial Tone over the copper pair even whe nHight Speed ADSL is also on the copper pair providing DSL Service AND Televison. When it is only a fiber to the home though of course we provide VOIP Dial Tone with UPS Power Supples etc. We still allow Dial Pulse no matter what though.

I don't think it is a system limitation but rather the Telco figuring that NO ONE would want Dial Pulse in this day and age!

Terry

Weco355aman

Verizon Home Connect is a cellular ATA.
It's a cell phone to RJ 11 for landline replacement.
A friend of mine that has one in his semi truck.
He has a ITT 2500 connected to it. The voice quality
is much better that a cell phone. The unit is Full duplex.
The only problem so far is the signal pickup is not as strong as a cell phone.
The unit has a external antenna.
Phil

twocvbloke

So it's basically a Premicell device? I guess they really are wanting to get rid of the traditional copper pairs over there if they're resorting to using mobile phone networks for their phone service... :D

As for supporting pulse dial, I don't think any phone company officially supports it these days, it's just hit and miss as to whether the telephone exchanges are still set up to accept it or not, or whether your ATA devices are programmed to accept them... ???

Still, that's why the Panasonic systems are popular, cos they take either Pulse or Tone dialling and convert it to Tone when sending out the numbers (well, mine doesn't cos being the UK model, the thing defaults to Pulse, which is annoying!!!)... :)

George Knighton

Quote from: Weco355aman on January 15, 2013, 01:54:25 AM
The only problem so far is the signal pickup is not as strong as a cell phone.

Please, saying it is not as good with signal capture as a cell phone, are you (or is he) comparing Verizon Home Phone Connect's device to a Verizon cell phone, two devices on the same array on the same tower?

Just thinking of experimenting and wondering what an ideal combination of technologies might be.  I'm wondering if the XLink paired with a Verizon cell phone might be a better home solution than Verizon Home Phone Connect, in other words.

Can't help playing around.  I'm sure you know how it is.  :-)
Annoying new poster.