"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

F-1 Handset Help

Started by benhutcherson, January 19, 2009, 08:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhutcherson

Hello Folk,

I've been having some issues with my most recent 302. Specifically, despite the fact that the telephone registers off-hook and dials fine, I can't hear a dial tone.

I've checked, double, and triple checked the wiring.

The handset cord shows good continuity on my multimeter, so I don't think that the problem is there. Also, all of the connections inside the handset are fine, as per the multimeter.

I swapped the receiver element out for a known good one, and still didn't get anything.

So, purely on a whim, I threw on another F-1, and it works fine.

This one has me scratching my head-I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work,  but it doesn't. Does anyone have any suggestions for what else I could look for?

benhutcherson

STUPID MISTAKE ALERT!

I just took a long, hard look at this handset. As usual, I removed all the contacts to clean it.

This is one of the later style handsets, with a hollow center and wires running through it.

On the older style handsets, the receiver contacts were identical, so it doesn't matter what order they go back in. On these later style ones, the contacts are slightly different shaped. It seems as though I'd reversed these, and the difference was enough that the contacts weren't making contact.

Problem solved-it works great now.

Dennis Markham

Ben, I did the exact same thing once.  I spent hours trying to figure out the problem.  I finally realized that the receiver contact on the left side HAS to be the one that is bent to the right.  Bingo.  Also, I learned that if the transmitter element is not in the handset, you won't hear a dial tone either.  I don't know if it is on the handset with the solid core or the other one or both. 

I was going to suggest that maybe the transmitter capsule was not in the handset.

benhutcherson

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 19, 2009, 10:00:07 PM
Also, I learned that if the transmitter element is not in the handset, you won't hear a dial tone either. 

I noticed that too when I was working on this one. A 302 won't even come off hook without a transmitter element installed.

Anyway, thanks for your response, Dennis.

rp2813

Yeah, I remember that I could only eavesdrop on my sister's phone calls when we were kids if I did it on a 500 with transmitter removed.  The design of the 302 wouldn't allow you to do the same thing without losing the all important receiver action also.
Ralph