News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE47 model codes, May be applicable to AE40?

Started by RotoTech99, May 11, 2015, 08:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

I have found model codes for the AE 47 on a catalog I downloaded that cover the dial, ringer and handset cord codes.

These may also apply to the AE 40. (The codes are for a black AE 47)

1, DIAL CODES: 1-0 (numeral only dial): M  ABC (metro dial): E  NO DIAL: C
2. RINGER: (Straight line) SL
3. HANDSET CORDS: Straight: T  Extensicord: W  Coiled: Z

The earlier features such as the cutaway wheel aren't listed; so the listed features here probably apply to standard versions. 

Jack Ryan

Which catalogue?

The original AE 47 code shared the AE 40 code space

L   4111   ESL      This is an AE 47
L   4123   A50      This is an AE 40 (Model 41)

The later AE 80 codes are different altogether and yours look closer to those. Perhaps they changed the code in the life of the AE 47.

Jack

RotoTech99

AE_Collector

Jack, do you have any thoughts as to tge 40xx codes versus the 41xx codes? They may have sarted with the 40xx codes and eventually rolled over the odometer into the 41xx range OR maybe there was some sort of significant change that bumped them to the 41xx codes.

There were many changes during the 20 year run of the AE40. The older large ringers versus newer smaller ringers. Cloth versus plastic wiring. Changes to capacitors. Dial changes from 24A36 to type 51. But, what led to the change from 40xx to 41xx is still a mystery to me.

I have a spread sheet with the codes found on many different phones and a large amount of info about how each of these phones were equipped. I can't recall if we have discussed the AE coding in the past or not.

Terry

Jack Ryan

Terry,

There were a lot of changes and a lot of variations. In addition to the variations you mentioned, there are also circuit variations.

I have not determined a correlation between the code and the metal dial bracket. One of the difficulties is the large number of rebuilds both at the time and more recently by collectors and dealers. The largest number of modifications involves the ringer - often a change from a frequency ringer to a straight line ringer. Collectors also have a habit of adding chrome highlights.

As far as I have been able to determine, Model (code) 40 telephones have the older low impedance ringer and Model 41 telephones have the newer high impedance (Type 45) ringer.

I don't remember discussing this with you before.

Regards
Jack

AE_Collector

Yes I forget to mention the metal dial bracket on the oldest models. I am not holding out to decipher all the codes but it would sure be nice to narrow down the approximate dates of the significant physical changes to use as a way to roughly date the phones.

The largest number of bakelite AE phones that I have came from the British Columbia Telephone Company and we had shops that refurbished things over and over again. So I agree with you 110% about the odes not necessarily having much resemblance to how a particular phone is equipped.

The ringer type could be tied to 40xx/41xx models. I could go trough my spread sheet and see if I can see that pattern to some extent.

I recall discussions about AE codes back when I used to be on the ATCA and TCI lists so I wasn't sure if we had chatted about it before or not.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: RotoTech99 on May 11, 2015, 11:05:12 AM
The codes are from Catalog TA-57.

RotoTech99: I am not familiar with this catalog. Can you provide any more info? Exact title on cover, a picture of cover etc.

Here is a topic on CRPF listing known AE catalogs concerning telephones:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2959.msg40198#msg40198

Terry

Jack Ryan

Quote from: RotoTech99 on May 11, 2015, 11:05:12 AM
The codes are from Catalog TA-57.

Sorry I missed that reply.

Earlier I posted:

L   4111   ESL      This is an AE 47

And that does match the codes given in TA-57 (a TCI Members Only Doc). I think it helps to decode the Model 41 AE 40s as well - I'm not sure about the Model 40s yet. Here are the codes from TA-57.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: AE_Collector on May 12, 2015, 12:04:06 AM
The ringer type could be tied to 40xx/41xx models. I could go trough my spread sheet and see if I can see that pattern to some extent.

I have a very clean correlation from phones in hand and eBay images. At this point I am happy to attribute the odd exception to a rebuild.

Jack

AE_Collector

Quote from: Jack Ryan on May 12, 2015, 12:41:41 AM
And that does match the codes given in TA-57 (a TCI Members Only Doc).

Jack

Got it. I guess I should look around the "Members Only" area a bit more often.

Terry