News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wall phone mounting height?

Started by Mr. Bones, December 15, 2012, 11:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

Good morning to one and all, and happy Saturday!

I know that we have a wealth of former TelCo folks here, with centuries of collective experience, to give me some simple information to assist with the placement of my '61 554.

As a standard practice, and I'm sure that there will be myriad answers, what is / was the standard height above floor level that you were directed, by BSPs, etc., to install wall telephones? Specifically, I am referring to older standard practices for 354s / 554s in the pre-ADA era.

I know, for instance, that 'typical' light switch height is 48", but as an electrician, I have seen and done many different heights as required / requested by specs or customer wishes.

Based on 'standard' light switch height, my eyeball tells me ± 5 ft/60" to the center of the phone, but I'd love to get some feedback, and learn some history from those of you who did this for a living for many years / decades.

Thanks in advance, and enjoy your weekend!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

This doesn't answer your question about 354s and 554s:

[For the older phones with separate transmitter and receiver:]

"Locating Wall Sets

"3.15 If satisfactory to subscriber, mount wall type sets with
center of transmitter (face vertical) approximately
56-1/2 inches above the floor. This assumes that the user will
be standing while using the telephone as is the case in the
majority of the installations. Where, however, the subscriber
will sit on a chair or other seat when using the telephone,
mount set so that center of transmitter will be approximately
25-1/2 inches above the top of chair seat."

[There is also a line drawing showing the top of a fiddleback and non-dial 533A mounted at 61 inches from the top of the phone to the floor line. The dial wall set (653A) is shown at 63-1/2 inches from the top because the transmitter is mounted closer to the bottom of the phone.]

[The following probably applied to space savers since in 1944 the 354 had not yet gone into production:]

"For wall sets equipped
with hand set, the proper location of the dial with respect to
eye level is the primary consideration and these sets should be
placed so that center of dial is approximately 60 inches above
floor where users will stand or 29 inches above the top of seats.
Where these arrangements are not satisfactory to subscriber,
place set to suit subscriber."

Bell System Practices
Station Installation and Maintenance
Section C31.145
Issue 3, 5-3-44
AT&T Co Standard
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Mr. Bones

David,

Much appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to research this, and to respond.

I have seen, by searching the forum archives, the 56-½" mentioned, specifically in reference to the mouthpiece height for the older, wooden phones, so it is good to have chapter and verse on those, as maybe, someday, I will be fortunate enough to once again possess one. :)

The 1944:

"For wall sets equipped
with hand set, the proper location of the dial with respect to eye level is the primary consideration and these sets should be placed so that center of dial is approximately 60 inches above floor where users will stand or 29 inches above the top of seats.
Where these arrangements are not satisfactory to subscriber,
place set to suit subscriber."

pretty much confirms my eyeball estimate, and the practices in place during the era of 354 / 554 usage, especially the 'to suit subscriber' part.

Still hoping to hear from some former installers to firm up this info, but I have had the itching urge, cordless ready,  to hang the 554 since I got it, and today will be the day... already made up a 4/22 line cord for it. Guess you could say "I got the fever", certainly an unknown phenomena amongst us here at the CRPF ;)

I will proceed according to what you have been so kind as to send me, plus, ultimately: "I will set it to suit the subscriber..."

Thanks, once again, and have a great weekend!

My very best regards to you, and yours!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

Wow! I didn't realize you were installing it today. I hoped to find a later BSP or someone who remembers the specs.

Dennis Markham

A non-BSP answer.........for what it's worth.  I have a 554 hanging on my kitchen wall.  I added a modular back plate so it could hang on the existing wall jack.  The house was built in 1960 and the wall jack was here when I bought the home.  The flooring was probably updated after the installation of the wall plate.  I get 59.5 inches to the center of the finger wheel (from the floor).  Pretty close to the 60 inches mentioned earlier.

Mr. Bones

David, once again thanks!

If you do find a later BSP, please add it to the mix here. I figure the phone base gives me a bit of latitude, adjustment-wise, to suit my OCD ::), if I choose (have) to move it. ;)

Dennis, as always, thank you, Sir...

This is just the kind of input I was hoping for. My duplex is also early 1960's, but no wall jack on this half. My neighbor has one, but I neglected to measure it when I was over there working to prep it for habitation by the current occupant several months back.

Please, by all means, keep the info, opinions, and facts coming in; I'm waiting a bit into the night to see what this thread shakes out. Empirical data is best, but all input is welcome.

Many thanks to my friends out there in Rotary-Phone-Land ;D
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

The only other reference I have found so far is from 1969:

"3 LOCATING

"3.01 Wall- and Hang-Up Type Hand Telephone
Sets: Place wall mounted telephone sets
at a height most suitable for the customer. Generally
the determining factor will be whether the customer
will stand or sit while using the equipment."

Section 502-120-200
Issue 4, June 1969
Telephone Sets and Associated Station Apparatus, Selection of Indoor Locations

This was in the New England Telephone Station Installation Manual, Volume 2, Sept. 1970

Mr. Bones

Thanks once again, David.

I am awed at your ability to navigate the multitude of BSPs at such speed, and find relevant information... perhaps I will be at your level, one day.

(Perhaps not, too...;))
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

I was able to measure my neighbors (modular) wall jack in the other half of my duplex; the height to center of mod jack was 60 3/8".

I know, (since I helped), that a layer of VCT was recently applied over the original flooring, so I 'guesstimated' the original height from finish floor in this 1960's structure to be 60 1/2".

I got my 03 / '61 554 hung the night before last, it came out at just below 60 3/4" to the center of the dial. Cool dial card, by the way, with a story enclosed from the seller.

It is a picture of her brother, from boot camp, during the Korean War era, that her Mom had put into it. I'll post pic(s) of the dial card, and the letter, if anybody is interested in such phone-related history.

I made a (temp) line cord out of some Belden 4/22 shielded cable in a dark grey. (Needs to gets me a wire tacker), but used Gardner Bender PSW-1600 Low Voltage staples to temp it into place, for now. Had them around from some previous Cat5E work at my previous dwelling.

First time to hook the 'new' 554 up, and I am delighted to say it worked perfectly, flawlessly in all modes, without any internal wire-swapping. Looks like $16.04 + mild shipping well spent, plus a wee bit of sweat-equity. It was the thinking that was costly, and painful! ;)

Thanks for all of your assistance and replies, and I would still love to see any definitive baseline figures, even though placement was ultimately left up to usage and customer preference.

A wonderful evening to one, and all...
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus