News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

magneto wiring Leich 901BD

Started by Sligichan, March 22, 2014, 09:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sligichan

Restoring a Leich 901BD.  The transmit/receive circuit works fine.   Unfortunately took apart leads to magneto to re-solder loose leads, then unclear exact order insulator sheets and metal leaves go back together.  There are three metal leaves for black, white and yellow leads to be soldered to, plus one thick insulator sheet and several thin ones. Diagram is unclear for order of all these bits to go back together--esp. does first metal leaf abut the metal case of magneto or is it isolated by one of the insulator sheets? Does anyone have an exploded-diagram showing all these parts and sequence of assembly?

When disconnected the magneto generates 60-70V.,but when magneto connected  the ringer does not work and voltage at contact points for magneto only few hundred mV.  Where is all the current being lost?

Appreciate any help.

Joel Mumford

Phonesrfun

Its probably shorted out.  The turning of the crank is probably inusually hard. 

I doubt if any printed diagram for these exists.  I have a Leich 901 that I can take a close-up picture of the magneto switch pile-up, but it will be a day or two. 

Those things always seem so simple at first and wind up being deceptively difficult to put back together
-Bill G

stub

Joel,
       Mine is a 901 B. Here's the best my camera will do. Bill , you may have to take those pics as mine might not be too good. Sorry ,I didn't mean to jump in front of you. Don't use the toothpicks!! Yes ,they fell inside the mag.!!Hope this helps. stub
                           you can left click on pics to enlarge them     
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Joel,
        Here's the rest.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Phonesrfun

Not a problem for jumping in, Ken.

I have a pretty good camera, but the phone is in a room where I have some guests and they are using the room.  I know I will get in there later today, but I also have church and other things going on today.  I promise I will get it done.  :)

-Bill G

dsk

Quote from: Sligichan on March 22, 2014, 09:47:02 PM
Restoring a Leich 901BD.  The transmit/receive circuit works fine.   Unfortunately took apart leads to magneto to re-solder loose leads, then unclear exact order insulator sheets and metal leaves go back together.  There are three metal leaves for black, white and yellow leads to be soldered to, plus one thick insulator sheet and several thin ones. Diagram is unclear for order of all these bits to go back together--esp. does first metal leaf abut the metal case of magneto or is it isolated by one of the insulator sheets? Does anyone have an exploded-diagram showing all these parts and sequence of assembly?

When disconnected the magneto generates 60-70V.,but when magneto connected  the ringer does not work and voltage at contact points for magneto only few hundred mV.  Where is all the current being lost?

Appreciate any help.

Joel Mumford
Sorry no exploded drawings, but wiring diagram.

The magneto generator are made to shunt (short) it selves in rest position, when cranking - the contact changes to short the ringer, so your own ringer will normally not ring.   Putting tape or paper around the middle contact makes the ringer and generator in series with the line. putting another telephone, or a strap across the line terminals shall make your ringer to ring when cranked.

dsk

Phonesrfun

Frustration:

I think I either left the 901 over at another person's house or I sold it to him.  At any rate it is not in the room.  My Friend, Charles who is a collector here in town collects magneto phones.  He and I were connecting these up in his basement to have a big party line.  I probably left it over there.  I will call him today and see.

-Bill G