News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NOS 1958 WE 500 in Light Beige

Started by Dan, February 19, 2011, 10:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

This one looks beautiful! Too bad it wasn't grey or blue or rose beige. Still it is sweet to see a brand new 52 year old phone.

I'm going to jump in feet first and say $175.89
???

http://tinyurl.com/6j2eb3y

S C O R E B O A R D

$  74.50 - Tom B
$150.01 - HarrySmith
$175.89 - Dan
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

HarrySmith

I will guess $150.01.
And here is a picture.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Tom B

I noticed that a '56 mahogany brown only brought $182.49 last night, and a '55 med blue sold for around $190 recently - and an SC Lime Green 500 sold for less than $15, all on eBay. I'd say times is tough at the moment, so prices are way down.
I'm going to guess $74.50.
Tom

Dennis Markham

That Mahogany phone did go at a relatively low price considering what I've seen in the past.  It's getting difficult to predict eBay prices.  I think that end time at 10:00PM (Eastern) on a Saturday night probably didn't help (the seller).

This Light Beige is very nice and lives not too far from me. I'll say $147.88.

JorgeAmely

The only flaw with it is the lack of dial gasket.  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

AE_Collector

5 Bids, 5 different bidders. Final price $201.50

3 of the 5 identifiable on the ebaY Handles list, 1 of the 3 is on this forum but not the winner.

Terry

HarrySmith

WOW, hard to believe a beige 500 sells for more than a brown or blue one.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 20, 2011, 07:55:47 PM
WOW, hard to believe a beige 500 sells for more than a brown or blue one.

Cardboard must be higher in value than any of us thought! (it came with the box)

Terry

Dan

So I am guessing he got a good offer and ended it early?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

AE_Collector

I never noticed how long the auction was but it now says "Duration: 1 Day" when you look at the bidding list. All 5 bids were snipes within the last 10 seconds so it must have always been a 1 day auction. I can never figure out why people put up short auctions like that. Same listing price yet many people would never even find it before the listing ends.

Terry

Dennis Markham

I wondered about the duration of that listing.  I only saw it late last night and expected it would go a few days.  Then when I looked again today there were only a few minutes left.  That may have hurt the overall price a bit.  I know it's no Mahogany phone but a soft plastic Light Beige is also difficult to find---especially a NEW one from 1958.

TelePlay

And the winner's final price is not known. The person who bid $199 at the last second set the auto bid winning price at $201.50 price that was placed .

What is not known is how much the winner was willing to pay for the phone: How high was that final bid - $250, $300 or more? - to insure getting that phone in the last seconds of the auction.

The last 4 bids were placed within four seconds before the auction ended, one within 10 seconds. Strange auction, indeed.

AE_Collector

Well we almost never know what the winner was really willing to spend, we only know that it was more than the losers. The winners final price IS $201.50 but he may have been willing to go much higher, and he may have wound up with buyers remorse too!

Some of the bids were potentially placed by automatic sniping programs but it is pretty easy to do your own sniping in the last 10 seconds as well. As you say Teleplay, an odd auction all round considering the 1 day duration, and all 5 bids being last moment snipes.

Terry