News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Handset Types

Started by paul-f, April 27, 2011, 02:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

While reading BSPs looking at handset variations, it became obvious that there were more handset types than I could keep in my short term memory.  Therefore, I put some of them on this page for future reference:

http://www.paul-f.com/weHandsets.html

As always, corrections and additions are welcome.

Enjoy!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

GG

Paul, I'm amazed at the stuff you've compiled over the years. 

Re. the 1013 and 1014 test handsets:

Blue = field test set, used by installers/repair techs, only found with standard cord & large alligator clips with single spike for piercing outside wire.

Yellow = central office test set, used in the CO only, typically with a cord having a line switch in it for testing Strowger switches, and having smaller alligator clips.

Orange = replaced blue as the field test set, may also have replaced yellow in the CO.  In field tech version was often found with the newer style gator clips designed to work on 66-blocks and having "bed of nails" spikes for piercing inside station wire (as well as the large single spike for piercing outside wire). 

Re. the D.-spec test set: I think one of those just went through Ebay, I thought it was AE because they made a very similar one in cast aluminum.

Re. the A handset:  Those are almost identical to the one adopted by the French PTT about that time.  The pattern of holes in the receiver cap is almost identical as well, which is "beyond coincidence."  I think France got their tooling from WE or got permission to copy the design.

In the past I've seen pics of the A handset and thought someone made a mistake and had a French handset.  Your photos are the first I've seen that show the WE markings on them, thereby solving what was for me something of a mystery. 

How likely would it be for an A handset to turn up on a B1 mounting?

paul-f

Thanks, GG.

The BSP lists many more D- variations than I put on the page.  I bought several years ago, when I found that some of them have #2 dials and were going cheap.  Apparently the "secret" got out, as they've been going for good money lately.

A-style handsets were made by several French companies using the WE tooling.  One of my favorites in brown bakelite is below.  I believe several variations were discussed on the club lists several years ago.  I collected several French sets, as I figured that was about as close as I'd ever get to owning a A-type handset.

The French handsets have a metal plate screwed on to the receiver end that's not on the WE A-Type handsets.  This is a good topic for a detail page, when time permits.

It's highly unlikely for an A-type handset to turn up anywhere!  There's no reason I can think of why one shouldn't be on a B mounting.

DavePEI

Quote from: paul-f on April 27, 2011, 02:44:32 AM
While reading BSPs looking at handset variations, it became obvious that there were more handset types than I could keep in my short term memory.  Therefore, I put some of them on this page for future reference:

http://www.paul-f.com/weHandsets.html

As always, corrections and additions are welcome.

Enjoy!

Hi Paul:

Nice to see the WE 1004 handset listed. I have two of these in a presentation case which were given to John MacDonald when he retired from Bell Northern Research..

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

paul-f

Nice, Dave.  I haven't seen many. 

Have you tested them or found any documentation?

DavePEI

Quote from: paul-f on April 27, 2011, 03:00:26 PM
Nice, Dave.  I haven't seen many.  

Have you tested them or found any documentation?

Hi Paul:

Yes, I have tested them, and after cleaning up the buzzer and buzz contacts a bit, they worked... No, I have never seen documentation for them.

Off that BNR would have had a set of these, but when John retired, they made up this presentation case and plaque and gave it to him. Certainly unusual! Several years ago, he downsized and sent it down along with a plaque commemorating the Summerside cut-over to DMS via his daughter who was vacationing on PEI.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

rdelius

Some of the A type handsets had a metal Western Electric tag on them just like the French ones. Seen in the Smithsonian on an A1 set
Robby

Adam

Wow, Paul!  Another GREAT resource!

You've blown my mind again! I just assumed the Touch-A-Matic S and the Design Line phones had the same handset!

Are the M handset and the N handset electrically compatible?  In other words, forgetting about whether it sits on the phone correctly, will an M handset transmit and receive properly when plugged into a design line phone?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

deedubya3800

So, a G1W handset doesn't actually say "G1W", it just says "G1" and lacks mention of the Bell System?