News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Early 52 500 C/D

Started by Phonesrfun, May 13, 2010, 03:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Earlier tonight I was chatting on the phone with a fellow collector from this forum talking about early 500's.  During the conversation, we were talking kind of mockingly about the chances of finding an all original 500 that had all the dates really lined up in a tight span of time, given the number of years they have all been in service and all the field maintenance that gave ample opportunity to swap parts over that lengthy time.

Tonight, just before going to bed, I remembered that I had left my sprinklers on and I went out to turn them off.  To my dismay, the garden hose was also running freely and dumping right next to the foundation in a great big puddle.  It had been running for about 5 hours.  I quickly went downstairs to the basement to check on my phone room which is right below.  It was wet on the floor, but fortunately, everything is up and off the floor on plastic shelves!

So, I have spent the last hour moving "stuff" to another room so I could pull the carpet back and begin drying it out.  In case you haven't guessed, I have done this before!

In the process, I pulled a black 500 off the shelf that was in the back and that I had completely forgotten about.  I bought it off eBay a few years ago.  I looked at the base, and saw 9-52.  When I finished my carpet pulling, the next thing I pulled out was my screwdriver, because I was wanting to remind myself of what was inside.  The recent thread Dan/Panther has posted has made me more aware of these early 500's.  It must be about the earliest 425B network phone I have heard of.  Here is the list of dates:

Base - 9/52
Receiver Cap - 8/52
Receiver - 8/52
Handset shell - 8/52
Transmitter - 8/52
Transmitter cap - 8/52
C2A Ringer - 9/52
425B Network - 8/52
7A dial - 8/52
Soft Plastic Shell 8/22/52

Now the part that was replaced at some time Handset Cord (Curly) IV 58
The line cord is a clear modular cord, so that is N/A

So, at least the handset cord and line cord were once replaced.

The shell is in so-so shape.  Scratches and dull, and on the side opposite the handset cord entry it looks like it once got too close to a stove or an ash tray, because there is a small melted spot about an inch long and a quarter inch wide right along the bottom edge.

Anyway, what impressed me was that there really is a phone that even I own that has a very tight range of dates.  The other thing that is impressive is the very early occurrence of the 425B network.  That new network was not even discussed in the Bell System Technical Journal until 1953.

So, there is my bragging for the evening.  I am going to now turn in after racing around moving boxes and phones and shelves!  Maybe some photos tomorrow.

-Bill G

JorgeAmely

Bill:

Time to install automatic sprinklers in your yard.
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Bill;
Do you have cinder block walls down in your basement, or other type.
I remember My Grandmothers basement, had a 6" wide trench all around the outside edge of the floor, and a small well with a toilet float and that was connected to a pump that would pump the water into the sink. Maybe you could build a small cement curb to accomplish the same thing. What happens when it rains, or Don't you get much rain in your area :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ::) ::)

Did the 425B come out in 52 or 53 ? What is really exciting about all of this, is the fact that now everyone is really scrutinizing their older 500's.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

D/P:

1.  Yes, it is a cinder block foundation/ basement walls, with a concrete floor.  I rent the house, so it would not be worth my $$ to try to do anything to it.  I can always move   ;D

2.  I went back to the 1953 BSTJ article that was published in May, 1953.  It says that the manuscript was received in August, 1952, which is the month and year mine was made.  In that article there is one sentence that says that the 425B is "currently in production".

So, maybe mine is ordinary, but at least one of the first 425B phones, at least that I have seen.
-Bill G

paul-f

I agree.  We have a lot of early 500s among us and can use our observations to date all the components.

While casually noting dates so far:

5/52 - Latest 425A     << UPDATED - NOTE OVERLAP
   3/52 - Earliest 425B    << See Photos Below

Can anyone narrow it down more?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dennis Markham

I have one with a 425B Network dated 3-52.  I'll get a photo up here in a bit.

paul-f

Well, that tightens things down a bit!  Thanks, Dennis.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

Looks like they may of had a one month overlap in production from the 425A, to the 425b. which would seem reasonable.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Here's the 425B network from 3-52..........

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 13, 2010, 04:09:20 PM
Looks like they may of had a one month overlap in production from the 425A, to the 425b. which would seem reasonable.
D/P
It wouldn't surprise me if the overlap is even longer.  They probably phased in production based on plant.
Just my guess,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

benhutcherson

Quote from: paul-f on May 13, 2010, 01:51:20 PM
I agree.  We have a lot of early 500s among us and can use our observations to date all the components.

While casually noting dates so far:

4/52 - Latest 425A
    8/52 - Earliest 425B

Can anyone narrow it down more?

5-52 on a 425A(in a 500T) here-I'll post photos later

rp2813

I wonder why they didn't put a legend on the side of the early 425B's.  In a way, the legend seems redundant but could it be that field techs started to complain that there was no legend, so WECo started putting one on again?  It would make sense since the wiring configuration on a 425B is different from a 425A, and there could have been some resulting confusion.  Lord knows that even back then, Ma Bell didn't want their techs taking even one minute longer than necessary to finish a job and move on to the next one.
Ralph

Dennis Markham

To add to what Ralph wrote, perhaps the paper legends were the precursor to those that were later printed on during manufacturing.