News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 500 Set Question

Started by Fabius, April 27, 2014, 10:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

This 500 set has a date sticker placed over the original (I presume) date. The phone has not been converted to modular, it is hard wired. Why was the date sticker placed on the phone? Was this the way later 500 sets were dated? Thanks.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Dennis Markham

Tom, more than likely there was some type of refurbishment that took place after the original manufacture date.  That's been my experience with 500's that have those stickers.  It may have been something simple, like a cord change.  You can check the dated parts and see which ones don't fit.  The cord restraints should have dates, the network, dial, ringer and plastics.

~Dennis

paul-f

Exactly, Dennis.

Further, checking the date on the network will usually indicate the original assembly date, which is probably under the sticker.  Since the network is riveted to the baseplate, it often provides the most reliable indication of the original date.  Other parts are more easily swapped.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dennis Markham

Quote from: paul-f on April 27, 2014, 05:18:29 PM
....... it often provides the most reliable omdocatopm of the original date.  Other parts are more easily swapped.

I had to look up the word "omdocatopm" at dictionary.com.  Then I realized Paul, that you probably had your right hand fingers one key to the right...so indication turned into omdoctatopm. :) 

Phonesrfun

Paul, you could coin a word that nobody in a spelling bee could spell (or pronounce).

:)
-Bill G

paul-f

It's Sunday, my day of rest.  I was only working on a Singing Wires article, talking with spouse and watching TV while touch typing.  I apparently shortchanged the proofreading step.

That said, creating new words is a good way to give new collectors even more to learn.  Adding periodically to the already cryptic jargon and acronyms should keep us all on our toes.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line