News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Butler's Handle"

Started by poplar1, April 30, 2014, 01:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Here's an "all dressed" AE 40 Cliff is selling complete with "butler's handle," chrome trim, and repro Extensicord (handset cord). These handles were easily detached and lost. Later model 40s had permanently attached bar for carrying handle.

Automatic-Electric-Model-40-Bakelite-Telephone-Butlers-Handle-Chrome-Trim

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Mr. Bones

Thanks for posting Cliff's pictures; I browsed by it earlier today, prior to reading your post.

All this time, I had not realized that "Butler's Handle" referred to different than the plain, flat strap between the cradle sides, as on my 1st AE40. Good to learn new things, I try to several times a day! ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

BDM

Interesting attachment. Wonder if these come up for sale by themselves at times? Would make a nice add-on
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

poplar1

I'm not sure whether "butler's handle" applies to both types since this of course wasn't something AE would have called it...perhaps Stub or Terry can give us the proper names and catalog numbers.

Quote from: Mr. Bones on April 30, 2014, 07:23:44 PM
Thanks for posting Cliff's pictures; I browsed by it earlier today, prior to reading your post.

All this time, I had not realized that "Butler's Handle" referred to different than the plain, flat strap between the cradle sides, as on my 1st AE40. Good to learn new things, I try to several times a day! ;)

Best regards!

poplar1

They might show up in a parts box. You need to make sure your AE 40 has the holes for the handle. These holes  would be on the metal parts that are part of the cradle assembly.

Quote from: BDM on May 01, 2014, 11:40:02 AM
Interesting attachment. Wonder if these come up for sale by themselves at times? Would make a nice add-on

BDM

Thanks Dave. Rules out my four AE40s, no holes as described :(
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

BDM

Silly me I misunderstood. The holes are parts of the handle/plunger mounts. I see that now. Explains why I do not have the so called mounting holes  :P ;) Paul excellent on the AE40 info links, thanks
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

poplar1

Sorry I didn't describe these better. I think they will turn up on an AE 40 with broken case if you keep looking--but the handle itself is much more difficult to find. I salvaged 2 or 3 of the handles when I worked for a refurbisher in the 70s, but have no idea where they are now.

BDM

Dave it wasn't your description, it was my reading that was the issue :o
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

stub

AE Catalog 4055 C, 1940 , pg 9 said it was optional and pg 45 shows picture and part #  D-780188-A . AE Catalog 4055 D, 1944, pg 9 and pg 42 said it was optional and pg 46 shows the picture of the  "lift handle" in chrome and said it was not available.  Hope this helps.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

paul-f

They're still out there.  Some of the guys who used to regularly attend the Enfield shows usually had them.  They're not on the internet, but I suspect they'll be at the upcoming Lancaster show.

A wanted posting in TCI's Singing Wires might turn up a few.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line