News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Conversions done in the Western Electric Distributing Houses (Service Centers)

Started by poplar1, April 04, 2013, 07:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Western Electric reutilized old parts and updated products before anyone had heard the terms "recycle" or "reutilize." When the phones were removed from service by the Bell operating companies, they were returned to the WE Distributing House. Right after they arrived, they went through "preananalyzation" (their term) to determine which parts could be reused and which ones needed to be scrapped. (They also owned Nassau Smelting and Refining Co.)

The shop procedures were detailed in the "Bell System Repair Specs" (BSRS). Although the flip-top Bell System Practices and bound BSP manuals turn up on Ebay and at phone shows, the BSRS seem to be elusive. Does anyone here have any BSRS?

Phones were usually updated with new cords. Housings were either buffed or repainted. Sidetone items (534A subsets, 51AL candlestick phones, 102s) were updated by converting to anti-sidetone (634A or 634BA, 151AL, 202). After a certain date, T-1 transmitters with black grills were no longer reused.

Wood subsets and phones were often painted black over the original finish. A retiree from the Atlanta Distributing House said his first assignment was to work on wood subsets. He said that at one time, the cabinetmakers were the highest paid workers in the shop. I guess that was the high tech job in its day.

From about 1955-1965, 302s were converted to 5302s, although this may have been more of an attempt to satisfy customers' demands for "a new phone" and to deal with a shortage of 500s. When you had any phone installed, it was more often a remanufactured one than a new one.

Even the "CS" (Consumer Sales) sets such as CS500DMs and CS554BMPs that were sold in retail stores as new phones often had old ringer frames  and old T-1 transmitter shells, but with new ringer coils and new transmitter parts. On the ringer frame, the new date was stamped in red, but the old date stamped into the metal remained.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

This 202 was converted from most likely a black 102/202 with E-1 handset, 4H dial and cloth cords. It was painted green and a brushed aluminum finger wheel was added, probably in the early 1950s. The matching subset was converted from a 534A to a 634A. It was called a "Continental" and cost an extra $4.00 one-time charge plus monthly rental if it was not the main phone.

Edit: The finger wheel may be stainless steel. Some green Continentals had the open center lucite finger wheels. Many of them had black rubber cords instead of green cloth cords.

poplar1

Here is a 293A wall set that was converted to a 495BP subset. The 495BPs have cow bells for subscribers who have lost some of their higher frequency hearing. My guess is that the gongs were too large to fit inside a bakelite 684-A subset or a 634A metal subset. So this wood wall set had one last run as an anti-sidetone subset.

poplar1

"Hershey's Kiss" nickel candlestick converted to a dial candlestick.

poplar1

The most familiar conversion is the 5302G, converted from a 302G to resemble a 500.

southernphoneman

I like what you are able to do with some of the old phones as far as conversion.i was able to take a parted out 500 and convert it to a 685 subset for my 202(as seen in my collection photos).

southernphoneman

Quote from: poplar1 on April 06, 2013, 08:48:25 PM
The most familiar conversion is the 5302G, converted from a 302G to resemble a 500.
I love the 5302 with an f1 handset on it.

poplar1

Quote from: southernphoneman on April 06, 2013, 09:10:23 PM
I like what you are able to do with some of the old phones as far as conversion.i was able to take a parted out 500 and convert it to a 685 subset for my 202(as seen in my collection photos).

All of the conversions pictured were done, as far as I know, by Western Electric.

I'm still trying to figure out how WE charged the Bell companies for the work they did. Did the phone companies give the phones to WE, then buy them back? Or did WE charge them for the work done, and was it a set price or time and material?

Before 1984, AT&T owned Western Electric, Bell Labs, and 100% of most of the Bell operating companies. They owned only part of Cincinnati Bell, Southern New England Tel, and, at one time, part of Bell Canada. But each state regulated the local Bell companies; they were allowed a certain rate of return on their investment, but rate increases had to be approved by the state public service commission. So whatever they paid to WE would affect their total costs and profit. Often, consumer groups protesting planned rate increases would say that WE was overcharging the Bell companies for equipment that WE sold to them.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Absolutely. There were no 151-ALs manufactured as new phones; all were conversions from 50-AL, 51-AL, 20-AL, 20-B, etc.

New 51-ALs had the date of manufacture stamped only starting in 1929; I haven't found any later than 1930. WE didn't start using anti-sidetone until 1931, as far as I know. I don't know what year they started converting used desk stands to 151-ALs. But they were still issuing 151-ALs in 1946-1947 when there was such pent-up demand after World War II. The 152-AB was probably the last survivor of this model. I have one (shown at left) that was reissued in 1963 with new cords and the base plate painted black and with triangular cork pads rather than felt or leather covering. The model number is stamped on the bottom in vermillion ink.

Likewise, there were no new 5302s. All were conversions.

cihensley@aol.com

poplar1:

Yes, the operating companies paid Western a charge that reflected time and materials for refurbished phones. The phones were placed in the operating companies' what was called "C Stock." In California, at least, the prices Western charged for all of their products, new and re-used, was a constant regulatory battle.

Chuck

Doug Rose

David....this is just a great thread. It is a very enjoyable read and answers a lot of questions. Thanks for taking the time to post this....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Seller says this is a "walnut Western Electric Type 21 converted by either Western Electric Co. or Pacific Telephone Co rehab shop in Seattle."

This was formerly part of a 2-box phone. The transmitter was added to convert it to a pony set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230958863761

poplar1

This 1317 Telephone Set was posted yesterday on the forum by BruceP. In 1975, the WE shop converted it from Local Battery (dry cells and hand generator) to a "Common Battery" circuit so that it could be used on a modern central office line. While the phone was customer-owned, the newly added parts would have remained property of the telephone company (1975).

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10241.msg108814#msg108814