"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

repair service in Los Angeles area

Started by reyzaguirr, April 27, 2018, 03:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reyzaguirr

hello;

I have been collecting phones for a little over a year now.  I purchased an ericofon and WE 500 which worked fine for a while.  The ringer in the Ericofon suddenly stopped working while the 500 started making funny static noises as the handset was moved around.  Now I can't hear or speak into the handset but the base can still dial fine.  I opened the casing and there appears to be no loose wires at all.

Are there any repair services in the Los Angeles Area, I am located in San Pedro.  It would be nice to find someone local instead of having to send them through the mail. 

thank you,
Brandon

Key2871

Is your 500 set modular? If yes, the jacks may need to be cleaned up a bit. If it's hard wired, you may need a new cord for the handset.
KEN

reyzaguirr

thanks for the reply

the phone is hardwired.  Who would you recommend has cords for a hardwired 500 in dark blue?  Could I just us a modular cord and cut the ends off?

Key2871

Hard wired in dk blue would be hard to find. You may be better off waiting for a member here who may have a NOS new old stock, or used in good condition. Hard wired cords are getting harder to find all the time.
Have you looked for a loose connection in the handset?
All you have to do is unscrew the caps counter clockwise. Tip the transmitter and cup out of the bottom, and the U1 receiver out of the top and a medium sized flat blade screwdriver. And just tweek the screws a little, clockwise.
Don't over tighten. Then just put it all back, keep in mind the retainer for the cord and the cup. You'll see a horseshoe thing on the bottom of the cup. That straddles the cord, and watch the wires, don't pinch them in between the elements and the handset. Put the caps on and try it. If you still get static when you move the handset, well it didn't do much.
KEN

reyzaguirr

Didn't work.  I don't hear anything and can't speak through the handset.  If I have to replace the cord it doesn't seem too difficult.  I just have to see if I can buy a new cord. 

Key2871

Oh, you can't hear anything. I thought it was static.
Well if you can't hear a dial tone, and you know it's a working phone, do you have another? If yes, remove the U1 out of the question set, and swap it with the other, do you hear a dial tone? If yes, you need a replacement U1. Same goes with the T1 transmitter, except you you can try tilting it on edge, hitting a hard surface, rotate and do it again. This loosens the carbon granuals and helps the speech part work better.
Because they get compacted and won't work properly.
Let us know if any of this helps.
KEN

poplar1

If this is an original " full color" Mediterranean Blue (dark blue) 500, they were made only from 1954-1957. They never had blue cords. They had dark gray cords.

The 2-tone Mediterranean blue had a black handset, black dial, and black cords.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

reyzaguirr

Hello Key; I removed the U1 and T1 and replaced them with the same parts in a 2500 I am currently using.  The U1 and T1 in the 500 don't work and the 2500 still works.  This must mean that it's the cord that is causing this trouble.

Hello Poplar: The handset, dial and shell is dark blue inside and out.  Thank you for the info on cord color.  The cord is black, not original grey as you said.  I would need to find a replacement grey cord if that's the issue.

andy1702

I agree with what others have said and definitelybthink it's the handset cord at fault. A crackly cord then nothing is a classic sign of a break in the wire. You could use four pieces of ordinary wire to replace the handset cord just as a test to see if that solves your problem.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

HarrySmith

If it is indeed dark blue you have a nice phone. If you search Mediteranian Blue or Med Blue on here you will see it is a hard to find color. Congrats!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Yea, it's the cord. And as others have said that's a rare color, and you need a dark gray cord. I was originally thinking it was the later color but that would have been modular.
Maybe someone here has a cord they would be willing to part with. Good luck.
KEN

reyzaguirr

thanks for all the info.  Bought an ash colored hardwire cord.  When it gets here I'll put it on and see what happens.

thanks again for all your help.

andy1702

No problem. Be sure to let us know how you get on with the new cord. I'd be interested to know if it definitely fixes the problem.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

Key2871

There's one on flea bay right now, black. Search handset cords, or look for seller oldphoneguy and you'll find it.
KEN

reyzaguirr

I've had this phone fixed for a month now and wanted to thank you all for helping me.  It's working great, the cord is ash colored.  I couldn't have done it without your help.  God bless you all.