News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Late 1930’s Westclox Alarm Clock

Started by ....., October 20, 2015, 07:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I picked up this late 1930's Westclox Alarm Clock at a local thrift shop yesterday.
It's black plastic with brass trim. I plugged it in and it keeps perfect time, I also set the alarm and it rings when it gets to the set time.

It is a heavy clock weighs in at 2 lbs. The size is about 5" X 5" X 2" thick.
On the front over the number 6 it says:

WESTCLOX

And under the number 6 it says:

MADE BY WESTERN CLOCK COMPANY LIMITED PETERBOROUGH, CANADA

Under the 12 it has a power outage indicator that trips to RED when the power returns after being off.
On the back it is stamped:

BACHELOR
MODEL S4-C 110 VOLTS A.C.
60 CYCLES 2.4 WATTS
PATENTED IN CANADA 1936

The lighting in the dining room isn't the greatest, I'll try later to get some decent pictures.

LarryInMichigan

I have a white Bachelor with a damaged phenolic gear.  Like many or most Westclox models of the time, it has a paper dial.  Does your have a paper dial also?  Note that General Time Instruments, which owned Westclox and Seth Thomas brands during that period usually stamped a date into one of the plates of the movement and also often on the motor.  I do not know if the Canadian models had date stamps.

Larry

I haven't had the clock apart, so I can't tell you if there is a date there or not. Is there anything that I need to know before I start undoing the screws and taking it apart? As for the dial faceplate, it looks to be some sort of paper board.

Doug

NorthernElectric

Cliff

LarryInMichigan

When disassembling the clock, be careful to note where everything is and avoid losing any tiny pieces.  Be very careful when removing or putting back the motor to avoid breaking any of the teeth on the phenolic gear which meshes with the gear on the motor.  I have damaged/destroyed at least a few clocks by not being careful enough.  Also, note that it will be necessary to remove the hands before taking apart the movement.  Be careful to protect the dial at all times.  Do not use "LA's Totally Awesome" cleaner on anything made of phenolic resin.  It will dissolve it.  I learned that the wrong way.  It is very good at cutting through oil and grease though.

Good Luck

Larry

Thanks Cliff,

Thanks for the info Larry,

I don't think I will be taking it apart any time soon. It runs and keeps good time, why spoil that. As for the date, I'll just keep saying late 30's.

Doug

LarryInMichigan

Actually, running a clock with a dirty movement can lead to excessive wear and premature failure.  Many, if not most, of the clocks I have bought were run too long and eventually stopped working one way or another because of the friction caused by he buildup of dirt.  I almost always clean and oil movements and motors before running old clocks.

Larry

True enough Larry. I undid the four screws holding the back on, but it wouldn't come off. What is the screw with the formed washer holding? I didn't want to take that one out as I didn't know what it is for.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Autonut on October 21, 2015, 08:50:44 PM
True enough Larry. I undid the four screws holding the back on, but it wouldn't come off. What is the screw with the formed washer holding? I didn't want to take that one out as I didn't know what it is for.

I don't remember what that screw holds.  It has been years since I opened mine.  I would loosen that screw and see if it makes a difference.

Larry

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Autonut on October 21, 2015, 11:28:29 AMAs for the date, I'll just keep saying late 30's.

If this page at clockhistory.com is correct, the black version of the Bachelor was only made 1939-1940.  I have no idea if Canadian production dates matched those in the US and/or Canadian production is reflected in the data.  If you get the back off and find a date code, it will be interesting to see if it falls in this range.
Cliff