"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello...yet another newbie! - DNO

Started by DNO, March 05, 2013, 10:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DNO

Hello!  

I'm one of those incurable collectors.  Over the years I've collected swords, firearms, medals, militaria, deco ceramics, art, and other odds and sods  (not all at the same time, of course.  Who could afford that!).  It was just a natural thing to do, given my lifelong love of history.

After retiring from teaching I developed a love for vintage fedoras and scarves.  I'm not a vintage clothing sort but I just couldn't resist the hats and scarves!  That, in turn, led to a desire to find a nice, working model 302 phone...same period as my fedoras.  Besides, I had fond memories of the old black 302 that sat in the living room when I was a kid.  In addition, I've really grown weary of the poorly built modern phones that seem to need replacement every few years.  I picked up a beige 500 a couple of years ago at a rummage sale so that my son could experience a dial phone.  Worked great.

About two weeks ago there was a contents sale in an apartment building just two streets over from my house.  My wife and I attended the sale.  It was a small apartment but it was filled with hundreds of phones and clocks.  I ended up leaving the sale with two metal bodied 302's, one D1/F1 202 with a 685A subset (I've been researching!), and an AE34 with a type 41 handset.  All the phones are working well with the exception of dialing out on the AE34...I think I'm going to need some help with that one.  There was also a lovely AE40 with an earlier handset (the one I needed for the AE34) but another fellow beat me to it.   In retrospect I wish I had picked up more, although, as it was, my wife was giving me some warning glances.

I'm trying my best not to become a phone collector but I think I'm losing that battle.  Anyway, I've already learned quite a bit from this forum and look forward to participating.

Cheers,

David
David

DNO

Thought I'd try posting a couple of quick photos of the phones.  The 302s and the 202 are all Northern Electric.  The Automatic Electric is also Canadian made.

David

stub

DNO ,
          Welcome to the CRPF !!!!!!!! Nice set of phones there to start off with!!!!! The AE 34 you have just might be a AE34A3B Monophone instead of AE34A3 :o. The 34A3B ( harder to find) comes with the type 41 handset, just different mouthpiece on transmitter. The cradle posts are thinner to accept the 41  handset. The 34A3 comes with the type 38 handset which is not as wide as the 41 handset. The 41 handset  won't set centered on the 34A3 shell.
         Here is a way to check your 34 to see which one you have -   Place your 34A3 , with the dial facing you, and put the 41 handset  with the transmitter on the left in the cradle and slowly push it to the right to center it. If the receiver starts to raise up, before it is centered, its a 34A3, if not you have a 34A3B case.  
          Does the bottom of the base of the 34 have any numbers stamped on it ? Could you post a pic them if it does?
          Here's the type 41 handset with chrome band and one with black band.  Thanks,     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

dsk

Welcome, what a great start. :D

dsk

DNO

Thanks for the comments, folks.

Thanks for the advice, Stub.  I tried centering the handset as you suggested.  The receiver stayed level...didn't raise up that I could see.  I can't seem to find any info on the AE34A3B. 

Here's some more photos.   The Monophone mark is barely visible to the eye, but the flash seemed to bring it out a bit. 

Hope the moderator doesn't mind me cluttering up the introductory thread with this stuff!

David

stub

DNO,
      Thanks!  Go here and download the AE Catalog 4055 C ,Telephones and Parts, go to pg. 18 . stub
              http://pdfs.telephonearchive.com/gsps.html

Kenneth Stubblefield

DNO

Thanks, Stub.  I've tried downloading the catalogue using a few different browsers (I use a Mac and the Safari browser isn't always the most welcome at some sites).  No luck...most of the pages are blank.  I did, however, download some snippets (including the A34A3B page) from the TCI Library site.  Thanks for the information!
David

southernphoneman

fro, one newbie to another,welcome aboard,and by the way,nice phones.

HarrySmith

Welcome ;D
It looks like you are too late, phonitis has it's grips on you! Now you will need more colors, different models ets ets ets. This is an incurable progressive disease soon you will need more room, and more money :D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

Quote from: DNO on March 05, 2013, 10:55:59 PM
Hello!  

...   In retrospect I wish I had picked up more, although, as it was, my wife was giving me some warning glances.

I'm trying my best not to become a phone collector but I think I'm losing that battle.  Anyway, I've already learned quite a bit from this forum and look forward to participating.

Cheers,

David

Welcome to the forum!  Very nice start!  Here's me in my Fedora and 302.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DNO

Thanks, Southernphoneman and Harry Smith.

Good looking phone AND hat, BrinyBay.
David