News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Functioning Free phone Fun at Flea Market

Started by Greg G., July 15, 2012, 04:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Had to really do some hunting for flea markets in this area.  Many were only one weekend annually.  The longest running every weekend one just north of me finally succumbed when they sold the drive-in theater property.  I tracked one down another 10 minutes north.  I got there about an hour before closing, nearly gave up until I talked to one guy who was starting to pack up.  I mentioned rotary phones and he gave me this one.  Not much of a collectible, but for free I wasn't going to sneer at it.  It's a good candidate for practicing the Retro-brite treatment.  If I can get it nice and white, it won't look half bad for an ITT.

Functions except it doesn't ring.  There are two wires taped off, I assume they were to disable the ringer, but it looks like a frequency ringer anyway.  Oldest date I can find on it is 66.

When he handed it to me, I noticed a bunch of lose hairs on it, and asked if it had been in a barber shop.  He didn't know, but then it occurred to me that those little brown hairs were rodent hairs.  Ewww!  I gladly accepted a bag he offered and vacuumed the thing thoroughly before bringing it inside to examine it.  The handset cord shows signs of being chewed by rodents also.

Had trouble getting the receiver cap off, wouldn't respond to brute force or coaxing with a hairdryer.  I noticed there was some gunk in the crevice of the cap, so I used an old dental pick and cleaned it out, then it came off.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

It's nice when things are given for free, they may take some work, but it's what makes collecting things fun... :)

G-Man

QuoteFunctions except it doesn't ring. There are two wires taped off, I assume they were to disable the ringer, but it looks like a frequency ringer anyway.

Stromberg Carlson 42-cycle harmonic ringer. You may be able to loosen the clapper and adjust it to see if it will respond to 20/30-cycle ringing current.

Greg G.

Quote from: G-Man on July 16, 2012, 02:21:54 PM
QuoteFunctions except it doesn't ring. There are two wires taped off, I assume they were to disable the ringer, but it looks like a frequency ringer anyway.

Stromberg Carlson 42-cycle harmonic ringer. You may be able to loosen the clapper and adjust it to see if it will respond to 20/30-cycle ringing current.

WECO355AMAN on the forum collects frequency ringers, he offered to swap me a SL ringer for it.

Is it common to have an SC ringer in an ITT phone?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HowardPgh

Howard

LarryInMichigan

QuoteIs it common to have an SC ringer in an ITT phone?

I think that those phones were bought by the local independent telcos without ringers, and they installed appropriate ringers as the phones were being installed at customers.  The installer would have used whatever ringer he had available at the proper frequency.

Larry

HowardPgh

Sometimes there is a hole in the base under the ringer so you can read what frequency the phone is without opening it.
Howard
Howard