"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

hello from a new member

Started by helia, July 17, 2013, 11:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helia

Hello all! 

My name is Sun.  I just joined the forum but I've been lurking for a few months.  I just got my Western Electric 302 yesterday and I foresee spending many hours here while I take it apart and make it pretty! 

Actually, I have already put into practice this first and very useful tip: give very specific directions to an ebay seller for packing the phone for shipping.  My phone arrived safe and sound thanks to you all and the 'The CRPF "Bad Packing" awards' thread!  I look forward to learning lots more from you all! 

AE_Collector

Welcome Sun...we are glad you joined us here. Where are you located?

Terry

helia

I live in Manhattan and I still have a land line just in case something should happen.  But more importantly, I'm keeping my land line cause I have a 212 area code phone number - it's like gold around here!

stub

Sun.
            ;D Welcome to the madness  8)!!!!!     :o  You know that 1 old phone is not enough!! ;D   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

dsk

jsowers

Quote from: helia on July 18, 2013, 12:28:21 AM
I live in Manhattan and I still have a land line just in case something should happen.  But more importantly, I'm keeping my land line cause I have a 212 area code phone number - it's like gold around here!

Without revealing your entire phone number, what are the first two digits? You could have one of the unique NYC phone exchanges in the 212 area code. Like CHelsea 3, ENdicott 2, GRamercy 5 or SChuyler 4. At one time your exchange told where you were in NYC, but probably not any more. Here is a partial list, circa 1951, of many of those exchanges...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5886.msg70654#msg70654

Welcome to the group! I hope your one phone is the first of many. You ought to create a number card with your land line number on it for that 302.
Jonathan

helia

I just checked and my number starts with 95 so nothing.  On the other hand, my parent's old telephone number was HYacinth 4 and my dad's old work number was DEwey 9.  Too bad they don't live or work at those numbers anymore. 

See!  Learned something new! Thanks! 

WesternElectricBen

It would be really cool if you had your parents old phone with the origional number card. If it was me I would be very proud of it!

Ben

Mr. Bones

Sun,

Welcome to the forum! We're glad to have you here. As previously stated, you do, however, realize that this quickly turns into an addiction, right? :D

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Mr. Bones on July 18, 2013, 10:58:34 PM
Sun,

Welcome to the forum! We're glad to have you here. As previously stated, you do, however, realize that this quickly turns into an addiction, right? :D

Best regards!

Mr. Bones, did you get my PM's?

HarrySmith

Welcome! Lots of good guys with lots of knowledge here.
Now get out! Save yourself! Phoneitis will set in before you realize it! Next you will want a 302 in color, or maybe a 500 birthday phone OH, don't forget an old phone book with your first phone listed or maybe a picture of the exchange building from when you were a kid. It just goes on & on. If you have been on here reading threads you have already seen it happen to many innocent people.
This is a progressive, incurable disease ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 19, 2013, 05:41:37 PM
Phoneitis will set in before you realize it! Next you will want a 302 in color, or maybe a 500 birthday phone OH, don't forget an old phone book with your first phone listed or maybe a picture of the exchange building from when you were a kid. It just goes on & on. If you have been on here reading threads you have already seen it happen to many innocent people.
This is a progressive, incurable disease ;D

That kind of sounds like you?

helia

I swear, I can stop at anytime!  But seriously, it'll be fine... I'll just blame all of you for enabling me!