"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Progress on my Mushroom "tribute" phone

Started by Godfather367, March 31, 2015, 10:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godfather367

Hello all!
  Here is some pictures of the progress I've made so far on my homemade mushroom phone. I took the parts I needed from a princess, and put them inside this phone, I had to make a bracket to hold the bulb in place. I know, I know,  I should have taken some pictures of the inside, I will post them tomorrow. I wasn't looking for the "factory" look on the inside, just on the outside. I still need a white 5 wire line cord and the switch to turn the nightlight feature on and off, you can still see the original switch from the princess. I thought I had a parts phone on ebay that would have provided the switch, but I was out bid at the last minute. I still need to clean up the hole I made for the light, and give the entire phone a cleaning and polishing. You can see in the pictures, it works as it should! I also need to order the hood, but I don't want to until I get everything else complete.
Anthony -
When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
ATCA 4719
<center><a href="http://atcaonline.com/"></center>

WEBellSystemChristian

Just so you know, the hoods have a metal cylinder protruding out of the bottom; this was for screwing it into place in the original sockets. You will probably have to drill the hole a little bit bigger to accomodate that cylinder. There's a specific drill bit size that worked perfectly for me, so don't drill it until you get the hood.

Great progress, by the way!! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

Looks good! Christian is correct, that hole is too small. It might also need some flush boring so the metal bracket sits flush.

If I were you, I would play it off as a 500H set. A 500H never came with a nightlight switch and the light was turned off and on by the hookswitch. The model was a precursor to the 500 P/U and the 500 P.

Ben

Godfather367

Thanks for the thumbs up, guys. I knew the hole would have to be bigger, but I didn't know exactly how much bigger, so I just made it big enough for the bulb to come through. Does the reproduction hood come with the metal cylinder?

Anthony
Anthony -
When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
ATCA 4719

jsowers

The mushroom repros do come with a brass sleeve at the bottom. It bayonet mounts onto a metal ring that's crimped onto the hole. You need to wait until the cap arrives before you drill out the hole, so you can see if it fits and make it only as large as it takes for a snug fit, since you likely don't have that metal ring.

And for clarification's sake:

500H: No dimmer switch
500P: No dimmer switch
500U: Has dimmer switch

There is no such thing as a 500 P/U. The base is labeled that way because it functions as either a 500P or, with the addition of the switch, as a 500U. It's the same as a 500 with a dial is a 500D and without the dial it's a 500C and the base does dual duty.

What I would like to know is how did you get past adding the terminal strip under the dial and an extra contact in the hookswitch to light the lamp?
Jonathan

poplar1

No additional switch hook contact springs are needed in a 500H. One side of the line (tip) connects directly to F, rather than L1. This frees up the slate-green (or green) and the slate-white (or white) switch hook leads to control the lamp.

TCI library diagram:
http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2309-500-series-desk-telephones-502-580-404-i2-500h-tl
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Godfather367

Wow, Poplar1, I could have used that diagram a few days ago! lol. I just basically did the old trial and error routine.
Here are some pictures of what I did inside. Please keep in mind, I'm not looking for original wiring, I just want it to have the look and operation on the outside. You can see the bracket I made for the bulb and socket, The terminal on the other side of the dial is from the parts box and was used to extend the power wires. With the dial removed, you can see the original princess stuff mounted to the base.
Anthony -
ATCA 4719