News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1D2 Questions

Started by Shovelhead, May 26, 2013, 08:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shovelhead

Phone is in as removed condition, early 80's and 90's parts intermixed, dumb board, with a plastic coin chute marked Mars Electronics. How do I remove the chute? There is a pull down tab on the top but this doesn't seem to do anything.

Second, phone is set for twenty five cent dialing, it's been out of service for that long. It was removed and in service per the person I got it from, but it dials out and completes the call without money deposited. From the condition it was received in, all locks in place, hard wired and removed from the wall with the toggle bolt screws still in the back board I would say it was never touched unlike my three slot that was neutered before I got it from Ebay.

So, where do I go from here.

By the way, Paul Vaverchak's key worked that I ordered. Great service and received it quickly too.

ESalter

The pull down tab you mentioned above the validator, snap that up.  There's a thin steel ring attached to the back of that tab, it's oriented horizontally.  That ring mates up with a small slot in the validator, holding it in position.  Sometimes they don't release on their own, so try to reach in behind that tab and just snap that metal ring upwards.  I attached a photo I took for someone else explaining the same thing.

As for it not collecting money, that is exactly how it should work.  When hooked to plain old dial tone, they work just like a regular phone.  All of the coin requiring intelligence was located at the central office and communicated with the phone via a 3 wire coin line.  That's why the original WE chassis boards are called "dumb boards" like you said, they don't have any intelligence at all.  All the phones are capable of doing is determining if the coins you stick in are valid currency and then pulsing out their value in nickel increments.

If you want it to actually require money to place a call, you'd need to get a coin controller(coin line simulator) to hook it to or replace the original WE chassis board with a smart board such as a Protel.

Hopefully this helps?

---Eric

Shovelhead

Eric,

Thank you for the reply. I'll try to remove the validator tonight.

I suppose I was surprised that the dial out function would work without any "engineering" by just connecting it to the phone line.

I will probably look into a controller especially if I get the pieces that are missing from my 232G. I'm deciding if I want to restore it to function as "in service".