News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

568 wiring

Started by Babybearjs, March 31, 2012, 11:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I bought a 7 ft hunk of 25 pair cable with the plug on it and was remembering something.... has anyone ever had the problem of 568A/B wiring?? I use Cat5 cords on my phones to simlify the wiring and keep getting messed up when wiring the phones... has anyone else run into the Orange/Green reversal problem? I keep thinking blue, orange, when its blue green! I wish they would keep a single scheme and run with it! (am I rambling?) USOC is blue orange green brown, but with these cat5 cables its Blue Green Orange brown.... frustrating to say the least..... 568A pretty much matches USOC but the 568B.... UHG! I keep thinking orange when its green! has anyone else experienced this???
John

Phonesrfun

Are you talking about the cable itself? or the jack wiring?

I have noticed a difference in the way some jacks are punched down, but I don't use them often enough to have it memorized.  I do have the pair order blue, orange green, brown......memorized to a degree, but jacks seem to mix the order up, and I have never bothered to find out why.  I just always make sure I keep the little piece of paper that comes with a jack handy.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Yes, 568A vs 568B.

568A is the one closest to USOC. Blue and oronge are at least in the USOC positions but then the green pair is over to one side and the brown on the other side rather than continuing to split the pair over the blue pair in the centre of the plug/jack.

568B swaps the oronge pair with the green pair so blue is in the USOC centre position and green is split around it. Then the oronge is completely on one side and brown on the other side.

Where the colors are in the plugs and jacks doesn't matter until you start working with the individual colors say inside of one of your phones that you are using the data cables in. Just keep in mind that the green pair could wind up being the second pair and the oronge pair the third pair depending on your jacks and cords. Then it gets worse when you get to the third and forth pairs as they don't continue to split over the centre pairs as USOC does. You need to carefully trace each lead of the third and forth pair through jack/plug and cord no matter which standard you are using.

I think that 568A came first and then 568B was seen as an improvement for Data uses, something to do with the locations of the transmit and receive pairs within the plugs and jacks. I am led to believe that here in Canada we have come close to standardising on 568A but in the USA it is either a complete micture of the two OR possibly closer to a 568B standard.

VHS or Beta, CDMA or GSM......

Terry

Babybearjs

Ya, and when ypu have a 568B cable that you have spaded on 1 end, it gets frustrating when you keep forgetting about the color swap! I get so used to the 568A format that the B format feels weird... why cant they keep things simple??
John