News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Oh dear oh dear, a Planphone A (GPO N625 + 706 in one package)...

Started by twocvbloke, March 09, 2018, 06:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy1702

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 23, 2018, 11:45:07 PM
Ever have one of those days where you wish you hadn't started something but it's too late and you have to keep going? Yeah, that's what I've done with this N625 base, and I want to go to sleep now, and I can't 'til I remove the line cable from the thing now I've completely gutted the plastic base....... :o

Not recommended...

Wow! That's definitely disassembled!I'll see how you get on then see if i dare start to tackle mine.  ;D
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

I removed the line cable after that picture too (before I gave up and went to bed, I put it in some warm water with washing powder to clean it off), so will have a job on my hands putting it all back together again, at least it all came out as one big mass, it's mostly soldered together so no real need to remove everything electrically speaking, but, it will be quite the process to put it all back in the base when I've cleaned everything up... :o

It's just another learning curve thing to me, as in learning not to do it again in the future, not even on my other planset base... ;D

twocvbloke

Washed the N625 (and the 746 which will be used with it) & cleaned its' cable, and had to use the scouring side of the sponge in a few spots on the buttons and base, moreso on the 746 though, so will need to apply the polish, just not today as I've had my fill of N625... ;D

It's coming along though, the best part will come when I have to reassemble it all... :o

twocvbloke

It would seem that I've misplaced the terminal board from inside the BT27SS, I removed it so I could clean up the outer parts, which I did so earlier, and now I want to put the BT back together so it's all in one piece, I can't find it anywhere, it's not in the box o' N625+746, nor anywhere round where I was dismantling it (Okay, it was on my bed!! And I have checked down the sides several times now!), I really haven't a clue where that thing has gone... ::)

Sod's law innit?? :-\

twocvbloke

Turns out I'm just a berk, I'd only gone and put it in the tray with the key assembly.............. ::)

19and41

With that many parts to go astray,  it must be like herding cats!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Nah, herding cats is easier, at least they don't get lost in amongst themselves........  ;D

twocvbloke

Haven't done anything with the planset or the 746 today, so decided to research what lamps the plansets used, as "41B" wasn't much use, so a little looking about on the internet, with measurements in hand, well, a bulb and my ruler in hand at least, and it turns out that a GPO 41B bulb is just a 12v LES (or "Lilliput") bulb, and easy as pie to get as they're commonly used in dolls houses on 12v supplies... :)

AND, they even have LED versions, if I so wished to outfit a planset with LED lighting of course... :)

twocvbloke

Oh my goodness me!!! I FINALLY have the planset base back together!!!  :o

Been working on it for the past few hours, fiddly screws, fiddly switch piles, fiddly 18 wires on a 25-terminal block, but it is DONE!!! But no time to celebrate, I still have to refit and re-wire the 706 to the planset, so, that's another hour I'm guessing... :o

The 746 is back in one piece, reconfigured for Plan 107A with the single button (really should get a clear label for it that says "PRESS" or "MAIN" or something seeing as the button is not etched), but, that's nothing compared tot he N625..... ::)

Anyway, must crack on, well, after i have something to eat as I'm hungry after working on that thing for so long... ;D

twocvbloke

And the Planphone is together, the 746 is wired up to it through some Cat5 ethernet cable (handy getting free patch leads with routers that I never need, so they become fodder for telephone wiring!!), and, the Planset has relay issues, but at least it's contact issues as it is clicking, but the connections are intermittent at best, so, need to dig out some card and get those cleaned up, but not now, spent enough time on the thing this morning, so I'm stopping for today and having some ice cream...  ;D

On a fun note, the resistor in the walwart PSU I'm using doesn't seem to discharge the capacitor, I'd left the phones unplugged from power and accidentally pressed the Buzz button on the planset, and the 746 let out what I can only describe as a mechanical fart as the buzzer drained the cap & gradually slowed down, quite amusing really...  ;D

FABphones

There's black one up on fleabay at the moment if you decide to collect them in all colours......  ;)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

twocvbloke

Nah, I'll pass, still got to do something with the Grey one first (may have something on the way to help with that!!), heck, I need to finish off this ivory set too, in that I need to find where I put my Peek polish to shine it and the 746 up... ;D

twocvbloke

I managed to win an auction on a BT 35A to use with this setup at the weekend, and only today was it marked as posted, funny thing is, I'd posted a link to that very one on the Plusnet forum a few months back for someone who was missing the cover for one in their house where their phoneline terminated, I guess they weren't interested in it, so, their loss is my gain!!  ;D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142742067441