News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

12/14/37 F1 Handset

Started by WesternElectricBen, March 12, 2015, 10:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

When I was parting out the D3 set that I recently purchased, I noticed the writing '12 14 37' on the inside of the handset which I presume is the date. Although, I could be wrong. Regardless, I'm wondering if anybody could tell me when they began building the F1 handset?

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

That's definitely a '37 handset!!!

Anyone who has a '37 302 without the correct handset woukd pay big bucks for that handset!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

F1 handsets were used in the trials of 1936 with various versions of the H-type receiver element.

Despite of the 302 telephones going into production in late 36 and apparently some installations already as early as the first quarter of 37, the F1 handset was not mass-produced until mid 1937.  Several articles in the BLR point this out.  This is the reason for early 302s still having E1 handsets. Second half 1937 all 302s had the F1 handset.

Handsets until ca. November 1937 have no grooves where the mold fins were. They were time consuming to produce since the fins needed to be polished off.  Starting about the fall of 37, they introduced the grooves into the mold, so that the fins could be automatically cut and no polishing was needed.

PS:  Our parts dating catalog places the earliest observed specimen of your handset to June 37.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11422.msg125729#msg125729

In my book, I call this an F1 version 3, having solid core with grooves, separate screw terminals for spring contacts and cord leads, and the long version of the logo.  It weighs 222 grams.

WesternElectricBen

Ah, thank you. You've answered all of my questions.

Being of the last quarter of 1937, is it worth anything more than a regular handset?

Ben

unbeldi

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 12, 2015, 10:38:21 PM
Ah, thank you. You've answered all of my questions.

Being of the last quarter of 1937, is it worth anything more than a regular handset?

Ben

As always, worth is in the eyes of the beholder.... and the size of their pocket book.

It is a "regular" handset.

WesternElectricBen

That is true..

I don't really have a need for it, so I'd take offers from interested prospectors.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 12, 2015, 10:42:29 PM
That is true..

I don't really have a need for it, so I'd take offers from interested prospectors.

Ben
You might want to ask Ken. He has a '37 without it's original handset.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford