News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dennis Markham's Collection - Oxidized Silver 302

Started by Dennis Markham, November 15, 2014, 04:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

I'd like to say this phone was something I stumbled upon, but it wasn't.  I received an e-mail from Larry (LarryInMichigan) with the Etsy link to this phone.  Apparently he wasn't interested.  I pushed the button.  It was what I thought was a fair price for a metallic Western Electric 300 series phone.  I THINK it's Oxidized Silver.  It's not as dark as Old Brass or even Dark Gold.

There was recent discussion about a similar phone in this thread:

www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12275.15

Here is the link to the link to the Etsy listing.  (I will modify this post later with the photos from Etsy).

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/240715049

I was excited when it arrived and even more excited now that I have done some work to the phone.  The coiled handset cord (that I think is Gold) was pretty stretched.  I put it around a wooden dowel today and scrubbed the cord with a tooth brush using a warm solution of Woolite.  I used compressed air to blow off the excess water than put the cord in the oven at 200 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour.  Then it sat in front of my vintage Westinghouse fan  for a couple of hours to dry.  I wasn't sure how if it would be improved.  I carefully removed it from the dowel and you can see the results.  It really came out nice.  I don't plan on it being an every day phone so it will remain to be seen how long the re-curl job lasts.  I also scrubbed the mounting cord and hung it to dry.  It was pretty straight at the start. 

I removed the 5J dial cleaning the dial plate, finger stop and dial housing.  The finger wheel was removed for cleaning and an original dial card added.  Since the dial gasket was brittle I had to replace it with a reproduction rubber gasket.  I did some light Novus polishing to clean it up a bit.  I hand polished the handset and housing carefully to make sure I didn't remove any paint.  The paint is pretty tough as I didn't see any coming off on my cloth.  As you can see there is paint loss on the under side of the handset but not visible when on the cradle.

It tested out great.  I plugged it in and dialed out as well as calling it from my cell.  Loud and clear.

Thanks for the tip, Larry.  You can send them my way anytime!  By the way it was $175 plus $15 shipping from Jacksonville, Florida.

Thanks for taking a look at my latest addition to my 302 family. 

The first three shots is how it looked out of the box.  The seller included a box that was for a much later phone.  Perhaps the phone that replaced this one.  The second three photos are the "finished product" followed by a collage of dated parts.

So this one was refurbished in 1951.  Originally from early 1939.  I didn't do anything to the footpads but may clean them up later.

~Dennis

Doug Rose

Dennis...that is a beautiful phone! Painted phones "usually" show wear quickly. This displays wonderfully. How did you get the curly cloth cord to look so nice? Outstanding!...Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Thanks Doug.  I explained about the cord in my "book" above the photos. 

~Dennis

WesternElectricBen

What a beautiful phone and a fantastic addition to your collection.

Ben

RotarDad

Wow, Dennis - that is a nice one.   The paint is really in great condition.  It is fun to find a phone that was well taken care of during its life - make the restoration easier.  Yours looks just about new sitting there.  Great find and nice job, as always!
Paul

Mr. Bones

Absolutely gorgeous phone, Dennis, and your as-per-always fantastic restoration work ices the cake.

Having drooling issues here, better sign off to protect the keyboard!!! ;D

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Dennis Markham

Thanks for the nice comments.  I cut corners this time.  Other than using my compressor to blow out 60+ years worth of dirt, I did not detail the inside.  I am beginning to take a different view (because I'm getting lazy) and leaving things the way I found them.  I figure improving the exterior without damaging the originality of the phone is OK. 

I threw together a short photo album if anyone is interested.  I show a couple more photos of how I improved the coiled handset cord.  Just click on the first photo and toggle through the rest of the photos.

Here's the Google Picasa link:

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/110167635593536495000/album/AF1QipOM3S5WqLEZipb2uoHPezaWxncEB71TORj8e9ne

JimH

That is one beautiful phone!  You can really tell the difference between the before and after pictures with the "Dennis" treatment.  I think the cord turned out great.  It seems to me I've seen more than a few special painted 302s that were refurbished with later dials.  Does it have clear, painted, or black plungers? (never mind, just checked out the "album") Jim.
Jim H.

Dennis Markham

Thank you Chuck.  Jim,  thanks too for your compliment. 

LarryInMichigan

jsowers

Dennis, in case anyone wants to know what the "F" on the acetate disk stands for, it stands for FABULOUS.  ;D

Congratulations on getting this fabulous phone and preserving it the way you did. And thanks to Larry for finding the right person to get the phone. I bet now Dennis is going to want all the other metallic colors. Good luck finding them all.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

Thank you Jonathan for the kind words.  It was fun working on this phone.  You're right, I'd love to find the other metallic colors. 

Quote from: jsowers on November 15, 2014, 07:28:48 PM
Dennis, in case anyone wants to know what the "F" on the acetate disk stands for, it stands for FABULOUS.  ;D

Congratulations on getting this fabulous phone and preserving it the way you did. And thanks to Larry for finding the right person to get the phone. I bet now Dennis is going to want all the other metallic colors. Good luck finding them all.

unbeldi

Surely a nice find!

It stands to reason that the cellulose acetate number card window was not in there when the phone was in use. WECo wouldn't have put it there.  Someone probably found it cute and used it to fill the emptiness.

The window is for key sets and was typical for installations in the 1940s. They changed those disturbing large characters to much smaller ones in the 1950s, but I have to look up the years.  IIRC, there is a BSP for that.

I would replace the window with something more genuine to the period and application of the phone.

Dennis Markham

Thank you Karl for that information.  I have run across those acetate discs in the past and wondered about their use.  I will do as you suggested and replace that disc.  I have many from that time period and can use one of those.  I added that card which I thought would be time-period correct for 1951. 

That finger wheel, with the little lever below the wheel is a bear to get on and off.  I found getting it off is easier than getting it back in place.

~Dennis