News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telephone sign, eBay UK

Started by FABphones, July 16, 2018, 02:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

This telephone sign up for bids on eBay UK, item number - 163151914101  (I can't add pics on this device).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NATIONAL-TELEPHONE-SERVICE-GPO-ENAMEL-SIGN-WW2-BLITZ-MARKED-LIVERPOOL-/163163767848

Seller seems to know a lot of history about it, and says it is a GPO bell sign.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

twocvbloke

That predates the GPO (as with most gov't owned things, they nationalised pretty much all the private, independent telephone companies and merged them into one as part of the post office), so quite old if genuine... :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163151914101

Sargeguy

These are fairly common and turn up every once in a while. They are equivalent rough way to the American local and long-distance bells. The story sounds highly speculative.  The frame does not look original.  I would be concerned about the painting or "snowflaking" whatever that is.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Owain

I got one very similar in Carnaby Street ages ago. Lost it in a house move.

FABphones

Quote from: Owain on July 18, 2018, 07:32:16 AM
I got one very similar in Carnaby Street ages ago. Lost it in a house move.

That's a shame. I lost a HUGE old answering machine in a house move, the thing was about 4ft long. Abracadabra, gone.

Do you have any photos of your sign, maybe in the background?

(I used to spend a lot of time down Carnaby Street. Looking back, didn't think much of it but friends at the time hung out there).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Owain

Quote from: FabPhones on July 18, 2018, 11:43:21 AMDo you have any photos of your sign, maybe in the background?

No photos - it predates digital, when film and processing was expensive.

tallrick

I need to make signs like that but with Southern Bell telephone  Phone from Bobcat is not possible though