News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Panasonic 616 Quit Working :-(

Started by SunriseEarth, September 16, 2018, 09:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunriseEarth

Well, we went away for the weekend and I came back to a non-functioning 616.   The power light is on, but the day mode light was no longer on.   I've tried the reset button and I've also tried turning on and off.   I have removed the battery and have left the unit unplugged and switched on.

The unit may have been unplugged and plugged back in at some point this weekend by our house sitter.   I'm not sure if that would have shorted out something in this unit.   I'm hoping this will come back to life.  If not, I may need to pick up another one.   :'(
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

Ktownphoneco

Tony   ....  I had this happen twice with mine.    Both time it was an onboard fuse located on the unit's circuit board.     It's been so long ago now, I can't remember if there's more than one fuse on the board or not.      If you have a schematic any fuse on the board should be marked.     I do remember the one I changed was soldered at each end to the circuit board.    If memory serves me, it was a small glass tube type of fuse, the same or similar to the old glass fuses used in cars and trucks 20 or more years ago.    You should be able to check the fuse(s) with an ohm meter.   If it is in fact a blown fuse, you'll need to un-solder it and solder in a replacement.    The value of the fuse will be marked on one of the fuse's metal end caps.     After the second time, I made the assumption it was a power surge that was causing the fuse to blow, and installed a "Belkin" surge protector from Home Depot and I haven't had a problem since.
I can't guarantee that's the problem, but it's a place to start.   

Jeff Lamb   

SunriseEarth

I figured I'd leave it unplugged for a while before opening it up.   So I did, and when it powered up, all three lights came one, then the power and the day mode light stayed on for a bit, and then the day mode light shut off.   Sigh. 
Tony Stokes

Owain

If the power failed and the battery is past is best then it may need new battery and power, leave it powered up for 24 hours, then do a hard reset and it might come back to life. Fingers crossed.

FABphones

Have you had a power cut when away? Might have spiked if you don't have a surge protector?
This happened here so just a thought.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

twocvbloke

It kind of sounds like a capacitor is giving up, the age of these Panasonic systems is enough to warrant the caps going bad, especially after having spent time in use as a phone system for a business in their previous lives... :)

SunriseEarth

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on September 16, 2018, 09:54:55 PM
Tony   ....  I had this happen twice with mine.    Both time it was an onboard fuse located on the unit's circuit board.     It's been so long ago now, I can't remember if there's more than one fuse on the board or not.      If you have a schematic any fuse on the board should be marked.     I do remember the one I changed was soldered at each end to the circuit board.    If memory serves me, it was a small glass tube type of fuse, the same or similar to the old glass fuses used in cars and trucks 20 or more years ago.    You should be able to check the fuse(s) with an ohm meter.   If it is in fact a blown fuse, you'll need to un-solder it and solder in a replacement.    The value of the fuse will be marked on one of the fuse's metal end caps.     After the second time, I made the assumption it was a power surge that was causing the fuse to blow, and installed a "Belkin" surge protector from Home Depot and I haven't had a problem since.
I can't guarantee that's the problem, but it's a place to start.   

Jeff Lamb   

So I opened it up and found three fuses, very small 2A glass tube ones.   I replaced all of them.   The "day" light came back, but it's still not working.   Will try leaving unplugged and on again to see if that helps.
Tony Stokes

SunriseEarth

So I've decided to pull the 616 and leave it aside.   Maybe it'll come back to life in a few months.   But I did find a good deal on a 308, so I ordered that and I'll see how that works.
Tony Stokes

Doug Rose

Tony....a 308 should do the trick for you. I used to see 616s and 308s at yard sales...no more. I have had mine a long time.

It is my workbench tester and my interface so my active rotary phones work in the real word. 

They are invaluable to the Rotary Telephone collector.  Glad to see you got a good deal,  when I saw your 616 died I checked  CL and eBay.....they were no good deals ....congrats on your find....Doug
Kidphone

SunriseEarth

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 18, 2018, 04:38:18 PM
Tony....a 308 should do the trick for you. I used to see 616s and 308s at yard sales...no more. I have had mine a long time.   It is my workbench tester and my interface so my active rotary phones work in the real word.    They are invaluable to the Rotary Telephone collector.  Glad to see you got a good deal,  when I saw your 616 died I checked  CL and eBay.....they were no good deals ....congrats on your find....Doug

Thanks, Doug!   Yes, I think the 308 will be fine.  I had seven of my phones hooked up to the 616, so the 308 should work well for my needs.  I have our call box out front connected to call my Google Voice line, which was CO1 on my 616.  I loved being able to use any phone to let someone in!     
Tony Stokes