"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 525B

Started by Pourme, May 18, 2018, 09:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

I received this 525B I ordered from EBAY last week. As you can see it was wired without a dial (6S3?) and with Cobb webs etc.

The good news is, after wiring the ringer, it works as it should. I don't know the age, still looking, the handset is '70 & has a '54 transmitter.

The only picture I can find shows a daisy dial. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the dial I need? More important do you HAVE the proper dial you would be willing to sell me at a reasonable price? I have no intention to sell it for a profit, it will probably become my poolside phone.

Look at the pictures and please give your thoughts

Note: The picture of the 525 with a dial isn't my phone, but what I think the dial should be. From Paul-f's web site, Thanks, Paul!

It looks as if I will need a bracket to mount the dial as well....This is getting more difficult!

Thanks,
Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Pourme

More pics
Benny

HarrySmith

WOW! That is pretty nasty inside. Good luck on restoring it. IIRC they did have a daisy plate on them like a payphone. The correct dial would depend on the year. Probably a #4 would be appropriate. I just saw a cheap one on eBay this morning.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Diagram shows a 6S dial. (No 4H made after 1938).
The dial adapter (daisy shroud) is the 58A, not the 63A found on 1960s multi-slot coin collectors (pay phones).

Dates should be on the ringer and network. This has the later hook,  similar to the style used in 554s. Earlier 325 sets looked the same outside but the handset hook was different.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

JorgeAmely

That's what I call a severe case of bugs-in-the-gongs. However, it is a curable disease. Be persistent with the treatment and you will see the light at the end of the tunnel.  ;)
Jorge

paul-f

Quote from: Pourme on May 18, 2018, 09:54:51 AM
Note: The picture of the 525 with a dial isn't my phone, but what I think the dial should be. From Paul-f's web site, Thanks, Paul!

You're welcome, Benny.

That's an interesting set.  I haven't seen many manual 525s. They're apparently a lot scarcer than the dial models.

Here are some more photos of the dial version...

<edit: Found another photo...>
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Payphone installer

Are you looking for the shroud and the ring I believe they are both unique to the phone?

Pourme

If I had the dial, I suppose I could fabricate the bracket to hold it in...

Edit: If you look at the diagram in the first post it calls for a 6s3 dial.
Benny

paul-f

501-162-100, issue 7 shows the 6S dial used in (only) the 525B set.
Finding one separated from a set may be a challenge.
The BSP also shows several other 6-type dials with the same contact configuration.

HarrySmith

Quote from: Pourme on May 18, 2018, 07:18:45 PM
If I had the dial, I suppose I could fabricate the bracket to hold it in...

Edit: If you look at the diagram in the first post it calls for a 6s3 dial.

I think I saw that bracket on eBay the other day. I remember seeing it listed as a dial bracket and checking it out because I was wondering what dial it would work for.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

Well.....I'll take a quick look.
Benny

poplar1

There have been several 325s/525s on EBay lately with black dials (7D) transplanted from a 500. The original non-dial 325s/525s had 82B metal dial blanks painted gray.

Perhaps you can use a dial from a 500 or 554 until you find the correct one.

There are actually 3 components of the dial:

6S dial has dial pulse contacts and two sets of shunt contacts, but only one set of shunt contacts is needed.

The "56B dial adapter" is the black painted part with the 147B "daisy" number plate.

The "58A dial adapter" is the unpainted bracket on the back of the dial assembly.

See BSP Section 502-501-117 Issue 1 in TCI Library.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Pourme

Quote from: poplar1 on May 18, 2018, 10:11:23 PM
There have been several 325s/525s on EBay lately with black dials (7D) transplanted from a 500. The original non-dial 325s/525s had 82B metal dial blanks painted gray.

Perhaps you can use a dial from a 500 or 554 until you find the correct one.

There are actually 3 components of the dial:

6S dial has dial pulse contacts and two sets of shunt contacts, but only one set of shunt contacts is needed.

The "56B dial adapter" is the black painted part with the 147B "daisy" number plate.

The "58A dial adapter" is the unpainted bracket on the back of the dial assembly.

See BSP Section 502-501-117 Issue 1 in TCI Library.

Thanks for that information. I would have never found that by myself! I have downloaded that BSP, it will be very helpful.
Benny

paul-f

Quote from: Pourme on May 19, 2018, 07:00:25 AM
I would have never found that by myself!
For next time, here's one relatively easy way to get to a BSP if you know the phone model.
1. Look up the model number in one of the charts on paul-f.com.  In this case,      http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#525
2. Read BSP reference numbers in the rightmost column.
3. Enter the BSP number in the search box in the TCI Library.
4. Read the BSP.

Since not all BSPs are in the charts, you may be able to find more references the old-fashioned way:
1. Look in one of the division index documents in the TCI Library.  For most telephone sets, use division 502. Later sets (mostly modular and Design Line) are in division 503.  Index documents typically end in -000-000, so try these:
   502-000-000   503-000-000
General index documents covering all divisions are in 000-000-000 and 000-000-001.
Early 500 sets and earlier sets are in BSPs numbered in an earlier format. Look in the C-series BSPs. Start with C12.001 and C12.101, the general index documents

2. Browse the index for BSPs that relate to the site of interest.
3. Enter the BSP number in the search box in the TCI Library.
4. Read the BSP.
Also posted here for future reference: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20510.0

Pourme

Thanks again Paul. Great information. I will learn to use that.
Benny