News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need help getting my NE 302 to work

Started by PaddyWhack, May 27, 2016, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaddyWhack

Okay, so is there any chance that there's a component like the condenser or induction coil that is messed up and should be replaced?
So far trying different arrangements with the wires hasn't made the phone work. There's no tone, it doesn't dial out, and it doesn't receive calls. Just trying to think of what could be the problem.
(Should this be a new thread?)

PaddyWhack

HarrySmith

If you can get some good clear pictures of the wiring & connections maybe we can spot the issue.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Does the phone ring? If not, perhaps the line cord is bad.

If yes, then temporarily connect the handset as follows:
White to GN on induction coil
Red to R on induction coil
Black to L2-Y on induction coil. (This bypasses the hookswitch and the dial.)
Do you have dial tone now? Can you hear yourself through the receiver if you speak into the transmitter?

If not, then you may have an open handset cord, miswired handset cord (inside the handle), contact springs not making contact with the transmitter or receiver, or defective transmitter unit or receiver unit.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

PaddyWhack

So I'm going to post a few photos to show the current situation of things with wiring, etc. First up: inside the handset.

PaddyWhack

Ground, ringer stuff

PaddyWhack

more wiring

PaddyWhack

dial wiring.

PaddyWhack

So, that's how it currently stands. Anything stand out that's wrong with the wiring? If not, I'm going to bite the bullet and try a different line cord and see if that does it.

-Paddy Whack

unbeldi

Quote from: PaddyWhack on August 23, 2016, 07:45:53 PM
So, that's how it currently stands. Anything stand out that's wrong with the wiring? If not, I'm going to bite the bullet and try a different line cord and see if that does it.

-Paddy Whack

It is easy to test a cord with a AAA cell.  In one hand hold and press the green and red spades against the two ends of the cell, and in the other hand hold a receiver and press the leads against the contacts, or secure them with the screws if you have a receiver from a 500 set.   When the circuit closes you should hear a loud pop.

PaddyWhack

I've been away from home for a while, so my phone restoration project took a backseat. But I'm back...
On a hunch, I got a standard phone line cord from the hardware store, and hooked it up. So now the 302 rings and can dial out calls. The problem is I don't hear a dial tone in the receiver, or hear anything else period. Is this a case of having the receiver wires hooked up to the wrong things?

PaddyWhack

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

Pourme

I saved that PDF...excellent resource! Thanks for posting!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

oldguy

That's great, long before I joined. there's probably tons of information posted before some of us joined. I know there is very useful information I've see in a rabbit trail, that I can't find later because it isn't necessarily related to the title of the post. 
Gary