"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Estate Sale Finds 302, D1, Space Saver and External Ringer

Started by John S, March 30, 2012, 03:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

dsk,

Here are some of the numbers I found.  It was very hard to see, but this is what I could read on the bells, coil.....

1 300 6600 0 13 CuL
WCK 4u2 T
De TBWC

Here is the induction coil....
M
(24) 95 800 010 Cul
V (45) 400 bif 012W88
Wil Trf 1743 51 DTW

Those are the letters I could make out.  There were quite a few of them. 

All the numbering on the terminals look the same as the picture you have provided. 
Please let me know if you need more pictures or descriptions...

John

Phonesrfun

Now wait a second......

It looks from the pictures that you have a standard 302 shell with a #6 dial, but it is wired to what appears to be a 302 base plate, but with components from a German phone?

Can you give us a wider photo shot of what you have there?  If this is the case, can you tell if it was actually made that way, or if the German components were placed there after the fact?  If they were retrofitted to the 302 base, there would be signs of mounting holes being drilled and mounting hardware not seeming to match the situation.  In other works, it would look cobbled together.

dsk, wds and I all seem to wonder about this.
-Bill G

dsk

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 31, 2012, 01:53:39 PM
Now wait a second......

It looks from the pictures that you have a standard 302 shell with a #6 dial, but it is wired to what appears to be a 302 base plate, but with components from a German phone?

Can you give us a wider photo shot of what you have there?  If this is the case, can you tell if it was actually made that way, or if the German components were placed there after the fact?  If they were retrofitted to the 302 base, there would be signs of mounting holes being drilled and mounting hardware not seeming to match the situation.  In other works, it would look cobbled together.

dsk, wds and I all seem to wonder about this.

Yes! This would be nice to know!

I have got enough data from you to be quite sure about it is a complete W48 setup inside a 302 shell with a WE dial. I'm sure this diagram will fit exactly.

Now we want to know why, and when and how.  

If you need to reduce the REN  you have to unsolder one of the wires on the capacitor and put in a resistor in series. It will probably work reasonably with a 2200 Ω restor. Don't do it if you don't need it.

dsk

G-Man

How about throwing the Automatic Electric cord that is shown in the first photo, into the equation to further mix things up?

dsk

:D It has definitely been some creative owners there.
120V will fry this.
US ringers are made for at least 90 V, Germany uses 60V  ;D

dsk

John S

Here are some more photos....

I tried to take close up, so you can see how it was screwed on to the base.  I took a picture of the bottom.  I never seen anything like this before.  It seems to be professional.   All the screws seems to be attached very well.  I could be wrong....You guys be the judge....

Let me know if you want any more pictures..angles.....

I have not tested the phone yet.......

John...

Phonesrfun

Interesting , indeed.  The ringer looks like it fits in the standard 302 base formed indentation, even though the ringer itself does not resemble the B1A, except for the gongs.  Maybe its just that it is hard to see it from a mere photo.

The large square capacitor is definitely not made for the space it occupies.  Cords are a mish-mash, and the hook-switch has definitely been chopped and re-wired with longer wires than the original.

No reason, however that it would not actually function if wired correctly.

-Bill G

dsk

I will definitely deem this to be a modification made of a person with a wide range of skills.
The mechanical adoptions are well made without ruining the original base. The ringer is mounted nicely on the original bracket. The induction coil and the capacitor has been put in so smart it could, no drilling of holes everywhere, and the bakelite terminal strip is mounted nicely. The original (German) wiring is kept, an the only changes is the wires to the hook switch. 

The transmitter and receiver elements are slightly different on the 302, and the German telephones.
Had been interesting to see whats inside the handset.

The receiver element will probably not be that important, but I guess the impedance of the German transmitter should be considerably higher than the original 302. 

Should also be interesting to hear how it works when tested.   (You could just connect the 2 302's together in series with a suitable battery. (9-12V?)

dsk