News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ultrasonic cleaning power

Started by JorgeAmely, June 21, 2010, 10:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

I have always wondered about the claims in many eBay auctions about sellers having dials "ultrasonically cleaned". My curiosity could not resist and I finally ordered an average unit for Amazon.com

It arrived this past Friday evening. I quickly filled it up with water, dumped an old greasy WE500 dial in it, hit the button, waited 8 minutes and was very disappointed with the results. "Must be doing something wrong" I thought. Checked a bunch of YouTube videos about the subject and found that you need special solutions to make it work better. I emptied the water, put clean water back into it and added some liquid soap. Hit the button and again disappointment. I looked at one website that had bunches of different solutions and figured that they must be adding a lot of chemicals to significantly change the color. So I emptied the water again, refilled it and this time I added three caps of Simple Green. That changed the water color to a faint green. This time it removed all the greasy deposits, but did not remove all the dirt. So I repeated the dose three times; for a total exposure of 8 times 3 = 24 minutes. And this time it did a very good job. I still had to manually remove some junk in between the gear teeth (like when you floss yourself).

On Sunday I did a lot of web searches and determined that the manufacturer LIES through their teeth when cooking up the specifications. For example, the box says 170 watts, but in reality that means 100 watts for the heater and 70 watts of ultrasonic power. The ultrasonic sensor in reality can take a peak power pulse of 70 watts and in steady state just uses 50 watts. Because you are dissipating 50 watts of ultrasonic power in the water, the water gets very warm.

I think I can do a better job with an old tooth brush and soap. However, the gadget saves you some time from scrubbing parts with your hands (less chemical exposure to you), but you still need to touch up parts here and there with some alcohol, although in a YouTube video I saw, the lady poured alcohol and some water (50:50) on the cleaner and got good results. Another thing about this gadget is that it will make ink markings go away. There was a video where a guy put the firing mechanism of an old shotgun into it, but had to maneuver a lot to get it cleaned because the part was slightly larger than the water container. In another video a guy cleaned bullet brass by using a 50:50 solution of water and vinegar with very good results. I ran mine with minimum water to allow more ultrasonic punch per volume of water. There are some units much better than this, that can remain on for much longer. The manufacturer of mine says to let the unit cool down for 15 minutes after using it for 24 minutes. This unit comes from China (what doesn't these days).

I have a few more days before I decide to return it, but I think I will keep it even though is not exactly what I wanted. A really good unit would run for $300 to 500, and as a hobbyist, I don't want to spend that much. Soon I will run out of dials to clean. :)

This is the gadget:

http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-DIGITAL-ULTRASONIC-CLEANER-HEATER/dp/B0006DOALG/ref=pd_sbs_indust_6

Picture attached.

Jorge

Dan

You can always do an ebay search for "DENTAL ultrasonic cleaner." Believe me they work great. A good used one will run you about $100.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

Dan:

What kind of solutions do you use with the one in your office?

Jorge

Dan

I'll let you know, the girls fill it up and I know there is a special solution but it is one of those things I have managed to forget over the years. I'll post it tonight. I put an AE40 dial in it and the crud that came off was unbelievable.(I had to resterilize the whole thing for dental instruments but I wanted to see how well it worked)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

Dan:

Can you take and post a photo of the model you have? That will be great.
Jorge

Dan

Hey Jorge, it's a Quala Cleaning system 5002 (ultrasonic cleaner).

Here's an ebay auction of the exact one I use. Any similar in size to this should work well.  

http://tinyurl.com/2bd6akm

Offer him $125 and see if he will bite...... ;D

The ultrasonic cleaning solution is a powder that you mix with distilled water. (brite shield).Please private message your address since the powder only comes in a huge jar and I will send you some by mail ( free  ). Basically you will get a baggie with enough powder inside to mix with a gallon of distilled water. I'll send you two baggies of powder. Believe me two gallons of this stuff will last you forever.

JorgeAmely

Dan:

He took the offer for $125. I wonder if ultrasonic cleaners can be used to clean faded plastic parts.  ??? ??? ???

PS: Is this the product you are talking about ... Brite Shield?

http://practicon.com/Brite-Shield-Cleaner-and-Protectant-Powder/p/70-62905/c/230/

Jorge

Greg G.

Quote from: JorgeAmely on June 23, 2010, 11:16:19 AM
Dan:

He took the offer for $125. I wonder if ultrasonic cleaners can be used to clean faded plastic parts.  ??? ??? ???

Let us know how it works.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Do you have to be careful not to use a soap based solution for obvious reasons ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

D/P:

When googling the topic the other day, I found that plain tap water is not too good for ultrasonic cleaning because of all the dissolved minerals in it. Dan suggested and manufacturers do also, to use distilled or deionized water to which you add something to lower the surface tension of water. That "something" is some form of soap.

In my first trial, it failed because I just used plain water. In my second trial, I added too little soap and on the third try I added enough soap to make the cleaner work satisfactorily, but I still used plain water. 
Jorge

HarrySmith

I recently picked up a new ultrasonic jewelry cleaner still in the box at a flea market for a buck that I was going to try with a dial.  I have not had time to try it yet and from the discussion so far it looks like it may remain a jewelry cleaner! I still intend try it out on a dial just for the hell of it before I give it to my wife.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

Harry:

Please take some before and after pictures. A picture of your cleaner would be nice also. You are a lucky guy to get one for a buck!
Jorge

HarrySmith

OK, I will get pictures of the process. I thought it was a great deal too! I am not so sure after reading all this! But worse case my wife has a good jewelry cleaner for a buck!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan

Jorge, the product you mentioned is the sample I sent out today. You got a great deal on that ultrasonic cleaner (Heck I need another one for the office--I may use ebay for dental equipment!)

A good way to test what kind of sonic waves a good ultrasonic cleaner is making is to do an aluminum foil test that they taught us in dental school.

--Cut three small pieces of aluminum foil about 4" x 8" each. Fold each piece over a rod that you will use to suspend the foil in the tank. A clothes hanger works well. Your cleaner should be filled with an ultrasonic cleaning solution, degassed, and brought up to normal operating temperature. Suspend the first "square" in the center of the tank and the other two a couple of inches from each end of the tank. Make sure that the tank is filled to the fill line, and turn on the ultrasonics for about ten minutes. Remove the foil and inspect: All three pieces of aluminum foil should be perforated and wrinkled to about the same degree  (it will look like the surface of an orange with tiny holes)

Dan

Quote from: JorgeAmely on June 23, 2010, 11:16:19 AM
Dan:

it will only remove surface dirt, oils and stain. It won't clean faded plastics (I have used it on dentures that patients have soaked in bleach--they stay light pink and do not resume their normal gum tissue colour)