News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Physical "leak" in 302 capacitor, screw for bracket missing.

Started by Greg G., July 06, 2010, 04:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Another thread made me take my 302s apart to examine them, and while doing so I noticed that one of them has a capacitor (I think that's what it's called, correct me if I'm wrong) with a split in it that was leaking some brown goo.  There was a gob of it on there, but I wiped it off for the picture.  It was the consistency of, well, a big brown goober.  The phone still fully functions, just wondered if this is going to be a problem down the road.  Should it be replaced, left as is, or is there a way to patch the split?

I also noticed that on both my 302s, the screw that holds one end of the bracket is missing.  I need to know what screw I need to get on my next trip to Home Depot.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Greg:

I would clean the wound and patch it with some epoxy. Otherwise, you can get a replacement cap from Steve Hilsz for $2. I am sure he will throw a screw for free.

http://phonesurplus.com/302parts.html

My 2 cents.

Jorge

LarryInMichigan

I wouldn't worry about the capacitor.  Even a piece of sticky tape should keep any more of goo from leaking out.  As for the screw, I normally try any other screws which I can find until one fits.  If it is a screw that I need, I take it with me to a hardware store and look for another the same size. 

Home Depot, at least around here, is a really bad place to buy items like screws, small bits of hardware, or pieces of lumber.  A cashier told me that they are forbidden to believe customers about the price, stock number, or size of anything and therefore they have to make the customers wait one to 30 minutes while they try to figure out what to charge and possibly call for assistance numerous times.  The cashier told me that the last time she took a customer's word, she was reprimanded by the manager who was watching her by video camera.

Several weeks after my last Home Depot experience, I bought some small bits of hardware at a local Ace store, and the cashier simply asked me what the price was.  I was amazed that she was ready to believe me.

Larry

Dennis Markham

I agree Larry.  My local Ace Hardware is very helpful, they have lots of screws/nuts/bolts/washers, etc., that are loose and can be purchased individually.  It's just like the old hardware store days.

Greg G.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, so I'll just do like suggested, clean it up and patch it. 

What I don't understand is why one end of the bracket takes a screw, but the other end is riveted.  It doesn't swivel out of the way when you remove the screw, so you have to wiggle the condenser out from under it.  It looks like at one time, somebody bent the bracket up, but didn't straighten it out and just forced it down on the condenser.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

Greg, those brackets all have that bend in them.  I think it was designed to hold the condenser in place.  I have picked up some 302 sets with that screw missing.  I think people unscrew it when they try and open up the phone, not knowing that it's the two end screws that allow the housing to be lifted away from the base.  It seems they fail to replace it once they figure out it didn't open up the phone.

McHeath

The old man across the street has jars and jars of old screws and nuts and such.  He must has tens of thousands, all different styles and sizes, it's amazing.  He's even made homedone storage units that rotate to sift through them, it's the largest personal collection of nuts and bolts I've ever seen.  Of course he spent his life as a mechanic for the navy, I bet you could find a screw for anything in there.

Our local hardware store is not even an Ace, just a local place that is not tied to a chain.  That they still survive with Home Depot and Lowes in town is testament to how they have stuff that the big boys don't, and their service is excellent.  You bring the screws and nuts up, they ask what they cost, you tell them, and they ring it up.  Some of the help were former students of mine, always amusing to have a kid you used to write referrals on helping you to find a so and so or such and such. 

Would you be able to fill the crack on that cap with solder?