News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

202 cradle removal

Started by Kenny C, July 17, 2010, 06:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

how do you take the cradle off of a 202 it needs some touch-up done on the cradle and body
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

rdelius

There is a round slotted "nut" that encircles the round casting that the plunger travels through. You should carefully remove the hookswitch contacts and the Pusher on the end of the switch .Take photos to document everything. You should soak the threads with penetrating oil before trying to loosten them.
You could make a tool out of pipe with 2 bumps that would fit on the nut. I have also used a screwdriver and a hammer.
Robby

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

they are baking at 200 for 2 hours i got the paint on good but wee will see how it comes out
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

paint came out great but the plunger is realy loose I have the screw screwed as tight as it will go and it still wiggles :'(
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

stub

Kenny,
           What size is the nut ?  I 'm in the process of making a tool for my AE nuts , it might work on yours. I don't have it finished yet, been too busy. I'll let you know when I get it done.               stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Kenny C

i dont know it is as tight as it will go to
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

stub

Kenny,
           Did you get everything back like it came out??????
           I don't have one to look at so I won't be of much help . 
            I'll try to call tomorrow and talk about it.         stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Kenny C

i laid every thing in the order i took it out and made sure to put every thing back
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Come in Nighthawk

??? No-one sells NOS (or reclaimed) WECo nut-removal tools?  Or, anyone make a suitable modern replacement?  ???

I had a D1 on which the cradle was CLEARLY skewed.  I wanted to straighten that out so the handset would sit correctly while in place in the cradle sitting over the dial, and was able to use a hammer and screwdriver (acting as a push-rod) to SLIGHTLY loosen the nut, adjusted the cradle, and then re-tightened the nut successfully by reversing the process.   ;D

However, of note, I never removed the cradle or its internal push/plunge assembly.

:D

Wallphone

Kenny,  When you said "loose & wiggles" are you sure that you put the bushing on before you put the spring on? The first pic shows how it should be. There is also another bushing pressed into the cradle. The spring should end up between these two bushings. The second pic shows a tool I made before I got into telephones. I made it out of an adjustable wrench. They are very tough to drill so you will need a drill press along with some sharp drills. It might be easier if you use a cheap Harbor Freight wrench. They might not be so hard to drill. I drilled and reamed for tapered pins. I did it that way so the pins would be easier to remove for when I want to use it as a normal adjustable. The wrench works great on both WE & older AE phones.
Dougpav

Kenny C

that is how i assembled mine
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

rdelius

Look at the top and bottom holes on the cradle and make sure the hard rubber
bushings are intact . If they are missing or damaged, The plunger will wiggle.
Robby

Kenny C

they ared damaged i think. can you buy new ones?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010