News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stuck Transmitter Capsule in SC 1191 Handset

Started by LarryInMichigan, July 21, 2010, 08:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

The transmitter capsule in the handset of my SC 1191 will not come out no matter what I do.  I have already broken the bakelite threads around it in a few places trying to pry it out.  I have sprayed contact cleaner and other things into the edges and heated it with a hair dryer, but it seems to cemented in place.  The receiver capsule had quite a bit of rust, so I am wondering if the transmitter may have been stuck to the contacts in the handset with rust.  Does anyone have pictures or drawings of the back of the SC transmitter capsule and the inside of the transmitter cup of the handset?

Thank You

Larry

Wallphone

For some reason I think that the have threads on them so you have to unscrew them.
I'll look to see if I have one so that I can confirm this.
Dougpav

Wallphone

Confirmed. They are screwed in. Stick a couple of screws opposite each other in the outermost holes, and hopefully you will be able to unscrew it by hand.
Dougpav

LarryInMichigan

So it does :)  I sure wish that I had asked before doing all sorts of damage.  Thank you.

Larry

paul-f

You're not the first!

Dave Martin used to have replacement SC handsets at the Enfield shows and Ray Kotke made some replacement transmitter rings for the SC handsets.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LarryInMichigan

I expect that the handset will survive.  The only damage (so far) will be hidden when the caps are put back.  I will have to find out yet if the transmitter still works.  The receiver already had a broken connection to the coil.  I was able to find the end of the coil wire, so I expect to be able to solder it.  The more that I look at this phone, the more I wonder if it was ever used.  There are no signs of normal wear.  I cannot wait to have everything cleaned and reassembled.

Larry

JorgeAmely

Larry:

Have you tried the "WD-40 soak + few hours under the hot sun + old vacuum cleaner pulley + massive channel lock pliers set" trick?

You can improvised a strap wrench with an old leather belt or an old vacuum cleaner belt. Wrap these tight and use the pliers to turn the cap off. Every situation is different and this may not work for all phone caps.

Jorge

LarryInMichigan

Jorge,

I managed to remove the caps with strap wrenches.  Removing the receiver capsule from the cap required a hair dryer.  The last hurdle was the transmitter capsule which was screwed down inside the handset.  The handset is completely dismantled now, and I have started cleaning and repair.

Larry