News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 vs. 304 wiring, 101A vs. 101B

Started by Gary, July 23, 2010, 07:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

I have a WE 304 that was missing the ringer assembly.  It has the 101B coil/network and the L-shaped terminal strip w/ L1 and L2 connections.  I've been reading through a lot of topics but am still not sure of something.  Can this phone be wired as a 302 using a 2-wire ringer assembly even though it has the 101B coil/network?  I'm not sure of what the difference is between the 101A and 101B.

rdelius

The 101b ind coil has a midpoint tap you do not need. You can use a 2 wire ringer out of a 302 but I believe the 304 did not have a ringer capacitor  but had a ringing tube instead. You should either get a capacitor out of a 302 or get a .47  (.5) uf capacitor. put the ringer and capacitor in series with each other and connect to L1 and L2. on the terminal board. You can use the g (gnd) terminal to tie them together
Robby

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Gary

Thanks Robby.  Since I'm not sure what's been done to this phone, I'll check out the capacitor that's there more closely to confirm what it is.

Dan, those are great!  Thanks....can you do that to my radio schematics too?  ;)

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Gary

Just checked the condenser and sure enough on the end is stamped 195A and it's dated I 47 G.  Looks like it's good to go for the 2-wire ringer.

Gary

Hi guys, got back to finishing this up today.  Since this was once a 304 and I want to wire it as a 302 with a 2-wire ringer, a question just came up about the hookswitch connections (mostly hookswitch to dial connections).  I'm referencing the 300 series colored wiring diagrams Dan/Panther provided and I've noticed the hookswitch wire color coding is different for the 302 vs. the 304.  The 304 hookswitch has 6 wires as mine does and the 302 diagram refers to only 5.  Green and Yellow are the only two wire colors that are consistent for both models.  They are presently connected as:

Green to Gn on coil (consistent for both models)
Yellow to L2 (goes to L1 on 304 but to L2 on 302)

This leaves 4 more wires.  I'm "pretty sure" the color coding that's there matches up as listed on the 304 diagram and instructions.  The hookswitch has 3 rows of switches/contacts and the connection orientation is as I'm presently looking at it from the inside with the phone apart, housing on left, base on right.   These are all the colors as listed in the 304 wiring instructions and what row of the hookswitch contacts they are connected to:

Green/Red       (top row)
Yellow              (middle row)
Brown/Red      (top row)
Brown/Yellow   (middle row)
Purple/Red      (bottom row)
Green               (bottom row)

Aside from Green and Yellow, the 4 remaining color codes are different than what's listed on the 302 diagram.  Apparently, 1 of the remaining 4 will not be connected.  Since my head is spinning trying to explain this as clear as possible, does anybody have any input so far?  In other words....HELP!!!!!!

rdelius

This might help.The 304 has both sides of the telephone line through hookswitch contacts plus the receiver through contacts also
L1yellow switch becomes brown yellow to Y on dial
L2 green red switch becomes slate red to r on dial
gn on  network green hookswich black blue to bb on dial
yellow capacitor wire to l2
slate capacitor to k
ringer between k and l1
I can scan the BSP for you ,just let me know
Robby

Gary

Thanks Robby, sorry but I guess maybe I'm getting more confused here.
I was under the impression that I could wire this as a 302 is wired?  For example, removing hookswitch Yellow from L1 (as is with the 304) and connecting it to L2 (as is with the 302) etc. for the ringer, condensor, line cord and handset.
I've basically removed the wiring connections and started over as per the 302 diagram.  This takes me to the point where I now have 4 remaining wires with different color codes that do not match the color codes listed on the 302 diagram including an additional wire.

rdelius

Send me your email and i will scan a diagram.I can send both 302 and 304 so you can see what is common between them
I should get acess to a scanner mon night.
Robby

Gary

Success!  ;D
I was making it much harder than necessary.  For some reason, I got under the impression that this had to be wired as a 302 because of the 2- wire ringer.  Wired as the 304 and just connected the ringer wires to L1 and K.  Called out and got a call in.  Only thing is the receiver is probably about half the volume it should be.  Thanks for help!!!