News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 90 low volume

Started by HarrySmith, July 24, 2010, 02:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I just finished building 2 AE 90 wall phones. One works great but the other has very low volume and a loud click when I touch the hook or dial. I made a map and wired them they way I found them before I took them apart. I also compared the two and they are not the same. In the working one the black & green wires from the handset go to terminal 23, the other has no 23, they are hooked to 3. Also the working one has 4 wires from the dial and the other only 3. I swapped elements and the wires to the element with no change. I have attached some pictures. Any advice will be appreciated :)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

stub

HarrySmith,
                   It looks like someone used a network out of a AE 80. Look and see if the numbers on network are   WA-1120-A. If it is go to here and follow the diagram for that network . Looks like the white wire got left out on the dial.  Hope this helps.  Anyway , just identify the network and go from there .              stub

http://tinyurl.com/yg42tqf
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Harry,
          I forgot to add this. If the network is a  WA-1120-A  and you have red,green,yellow line in wires, tie yellow and green line in wires together and the ringer will work. If yellow is not in line in wires place a jumper wire from network #6 to #9.  Hope this helps ,  I'll be out all day tomorrow till late night , I'll check back then..  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

There is definitely a wire missing on the dial. Probably broke off where it was soldered on. A white wire I think. It probably belongs on one of the solder posts hiding under the red or blue lead in your picture.

80's and 90's use the same networks but could be either model that Stub mentioned.

Terry

HarrySmith

You guys ROCK ;D
I did not think about the dial missing a wire as it functions fine, dialed a few calls to test it but when I inspect it closely under magnification I see a terminal with solder on it that must have had a wire attached. It is hiding under the yellow wire in my picture >:(
I have a spare dial I will put in to fix it and let you know :)
Thanks guys :D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

OK, fixed. I installed a dial I had Steve service for me a while ago and it works fine :)
I feel pretty stupid, I should have known since the others I am working on all have 4 wires to the dial there was one missing. I don't fully understand how these things work :(
How does the dial affect the volume of the handset ???
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

Harry:

The dial either opens or short circuits the receiver when you dial so you don't hear loud popping noises as the dial returns to stop. Which action is depends on the manufacturer. I know for sure WE500s shorts the receiver.
Jorge