News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Badly Yellowed Dial Face

Started by LarryInMichigan, July 25, 2010, 01:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I recently bought a metal 302 which I am now trying to clean.  The dial face is badly yellowed.  The initial cleaning removed all of the dirt, but the dial face is still badly discolored.  Is there any way to remove the discoloration without also removing the numbers?

Thank You

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry....looks like a celluloid cover over metal. These yellow with age. Its a nice dial plate. I have never been able to get one of these clean without damaging the letters or numbers....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I like the numbers more than I dislike the yellow, so I guess I can live with it as it is.  This is the oldest plate which I have ever had.

Larry

paul-f

I'll second Doug's comments.

These are relatively scarce and fairly fragile, so aggressive cleaning should be approached with caution.  Several I've seen have seen had the celluloid layer partially detached from the metal disk.  Once that happens, the celluloid tends to crumble and flake off.

It's a treat to see one intact and in readable condition.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Greg G.

At least it's a bright shade of yellowing.  Old celluloid covers of any sort that I've come across usually yellow to more of an ugly brownish color that obscures whatever's underneath.  You can still see the numbers and lettering fairly well on this one.  I would just clean it with a sponge as best you can and leave it as is.  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Larry....I think most collectors would take this off your hands as is with no problem. Its just what happens with them. It is in outstanding condition. Its a keeper.

FYI...I did try bleaching on a damaged celluloid plate for a test, it came out nice ivory color with NO letters or numbers...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I am convinced.  I hope to post pictures of the rest of the phone in the next several days.  The entire base is dated 1938 and in great condition.

Larry

McHeath

What if it were to be soaked in just plain water for a long time, say a couple of days?  I don't have any first hand experience with these plates, so it's just a guess from me.

paul-f

My guess is that it would encourage the celluloid layer to seperate from the metal.

I won't try it, but if you decide to, let us know what happens!  ;)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dennis Markham

Larry, I was told early on by a long-time collector never to put liquid anywhere near one of those celluloid covered dial plates as it will disintegrate.  Be careful cleaning it.  Like the others say, maybe it's best to leave well enough alone.

LarryInMichigan

Oh well.  The plate was very dirty, so I cleaned it the way I clean the porcelain ones, with foaming tile cleaner and a toothbrush.  I guess that I was very fortunate that I did not destroy or even damage it.  It is back in the dial in the reassembled phone now, so hopefully I will not need to worry about what to do with it for the next 72 years.

Larry

Dennis Markham

That's good news Larry.  I look forward to seeing the photos of the finished product.

Doug Rose

Here is a celluloid that started to disintergrate....Doug
Kidphone

bingster

It would be neat if OPW would make a dial overlay that was off-white with squared letters to imitate these.
= DARRIN =

LarryInMichigan

Here is a celluloid that started to disintergrate....Doug

That is rather sad.  I guess that I should consider myself very fortunate.

Larry