ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

John

Jim Stettler

The ear tube is missing it's protective rubber end.
You may be able to replace it with  the silicone end off a stainless steel (if you get it).
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

countryman

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 03, 2019, 06:38:19 PM
looks like someone glued a pen on to the handset!

...or stabbed that mysterious speaking machine with a paper knife ;-)

Quote from: Jim Stettler on December 03, 2019, 06:45:25 PM
You may be able to replace it with  the silicone end off a stainless steel (if you get it).
Jim

That suggest this has a real function - would you please care to explain?

HarrySmith

Quote from: Jim Stettler on December 03, 2019, 06:45:25 PM
Jim

Please add more info. Is  this actually a WE part? Since you mention an ear tube, is this for hard of hearing? Some end goes on it to stick in the ear?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

I wouldn't be the one to stick that in my ear to hear better..
Thank you.
KEN

Dan/Panther

Come on guys. That's the hand crank so you can hear what they are say to you.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

19and41

I thought it was an early attachment to keep the receiver on one's shoulder leaving their hands free and the ear canal full.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 04, 2019, 07:07:17 AM
Please add more info. Is  this actually a WE part? Since you mention an ear tube, is this for hard of hearing? Some end goes on it to stick in the ear?
It may be a WE part, but the were good about creating things for the deaf, so I think factory would look better.

It could be a method of attaching the receiver element to a phonograph horn.

Years ago I had a watchcase type receiver (modified) that would attach to a phonograph arm and amplify the receiver thru the phonograph horn.
You removed the needle pick up from the arm and attached a rubber hose between the watchcase and pick-up arm.
It was NIB. I sold it for around $200 20+ years ago.
Jim
You live, You learn,

HowardPgh

Whatever that stick is, it looks like it is part of something stuck on the receiver cap covering the holes.
Howard

HarrySmith

I put a message about this thing on the lists. No answers yet but if I get any info I will post it here.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

I would guess if it is a tube to the receiver element, it could be an acoustic coupler to use rubber hose to the coupled device.  A remote PA hookup?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Jim Stettler

ISTR the watchcase I had pretty much fit right against the phono arm, the tubing was about an 1" or so, and just  held them together.
Jim
You live, You learn,

FABphones

It would be easier to make a good guess if the seller added a photo of the endcap removed so we could see inside, but as the handset doesn't sit correctly on the cradle with that adaption it looks like the phone may have been turned into a prop, with the metal bar pushed into 'whatever' to keep and hold the handset there.

If the phone were to remain functional I would have thought the added earcap piece would have been made with less length so the handset goes back on hook correctly. Always possible of course that the individual who made this got the length wrong and didn't bother to cut it shorter.
The addition of a 'hollow listening tube' for attaching to an additional (likely flexible) tube, would render the phone unusable to anyone else.

I zoomed in and lightened the photo (attached), hard to tell, but (to me) the rod/bar doesn't look hollow.
The holes of the cap are filled.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble