News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mediterranean Blue 500 Painted Aqua Blue

Started by magicbrain, October 20, 2018, 01:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicbrain

I bought this Western Electric 500 dated 2-57 on ebay - I thought from the auction pictures it looked to be dark blue/gray under light blue paint, so I took a chance - having received it the shell, handset & caps are in fact Mediterranean blue all dated 8-56.
The issue now, do I strip it? - If I do, I will need to locate the correct color dial bezel(not very likely) & cords(possible)
The light blue paint is in great condition, as are the cords both marked "I 58" and it has the code "62" for aqua blue stamped on the base - it should clean up & display very nicely.
I already have a Mediterranean blue 500 with dark gray cords, so I am inclined to keep this one as is - what does everyone think?

Auction link:
https://tinyurl.com/yc3mbquj

Bruce

Pourme

~

By any metric you choose to use this was a great buy. As for weather you should strip the paint? My knee jerk reaction was YES! Hmmmm....I think I would want to secure a proper dial first. The value would certainly increase if it was the proper, much sought after color. Sometime a phone is painted because there was a repair that could only be properly concealed with a repaint. I would look for evidence of that possibility.  I noticed they painted the inside of the case as well.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

magicbrain

Quote from: Pourme on October 20, 2018, 02:02:37 PM
Sometime a phone is painted because there was a repair that could only be properly concealed with a repaint. I would look for evidence of that possibility.  I noticed they painted the inside of the case as well.

My pictures of it are not the greatest, it is very overcast here today - The shell is undamaged & only has some over spray inside.
I believe this was made to fill an order for an aqua blue in early 58, due to the cords both marked "I 58" & the "62" code stamp on the base.

Bruce

Pourme

~

If that is the case....The surface having been protected by a layer of paint since 1958, will be in pristine condition!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

poplar1

At least it's not polane paint:

In 1971 Sherwin-Williams introduced POLANE, a coating designed to efficiently cover metal surfaces but found to work exceedingly well on plastics as well.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotarDad

WEBellSystemChristian has done a lot of experimentation with paint removal.  Here's a thread with a short summary of his methods:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12923.msg136439#msg136439

See response #25.
Paul

TelePlay

Quote from: RotarDad on October 20, 2018, 03:01:55 PM
WEBellSystemChristian has done a lot of experimentation with paint removal.  Here's a thread with a stuff summary of his methods:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12923.msg136439#msg136439

See response #25.

Regular Member Post

Yes, he has done much to advance the removal of paint using different solvents/chemicals. If not Polane, it may be possible to chemically remove the paint.

The only words of caution I have is do it slowly and carefully to make sure whatever you are using to soften and remove the paint is also not destroying the plastic underneath. Some of the chemicals used by Christian will destroy an ABS housing if left on too long (the paint was not responding well to the chemical). Oven cleaner will destroy ABS if left on too long and soft plastic is easier to ruin.

It might be worth it to spot test what ever solvent/chemical you want to use on the inside of the housing before applying it to the paint. Being a collectable housing and handset, proceed slowly with caution, and read all of Christian's work.

Safest way is wet sandpaper but that takes time and patience, a lot of time, but will not harm the underlying plastics.

BTW, great catch, great find.

HarrySmith

Nice find. I would leave it. Just clean it up & display it. I would also keep my eyes out for a Med Blue dial bezel. If one turns up then you have the option of returning it to that color. As it sits it is a factory original phone and a collectible in it's own right.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 21, 2018, 10:45:27 AM
Nice find. I would leave it. Just clean it up & display it. I would also keep my eyes out for a Med Blue dial bezel. If one turns up then you have the option of returning it to that color. As it sits it is a factory original phone and a collectible in it's own right.

I agree. What makes it especially interesting is the original color code on the dial back and the "new" color code added to the stamp on the bottom.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 21, 2018, 10:45:27 AM

I agree leave it as it is. If you find the proper parts then make the decision.
I used to have the same type set-up. Mine was med blue housing and handset painted green, it had a green dial, green handset cord and a long brown cloth line cord. I bought cheap as a green set on ebay. When I discovered it was painted I felt it was a better deal. Mine seemed to be painted with Polane paint. I eventually gave it away as a thank-you for a good telephone lead.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotarDad

I would also leave it as is.  You have the Med Blue already, and the work to remove the the paint, plus the time/money to find the parts would make the effort unattractive imho.  The others are right too about the value of the phone as it sits.....   If I were viewing your collection, I'd be more interested in looking at this one than your Med Blue as well..... ;)
Paul

Russ Kirk

I agree with others, it is more interesting that is started out a Med blue and was factory repainted. That is itself makes it rarer that a regular Med blue. Keep it as found.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

SunriseEarth

My vote would be to keep it as-is.   You already have one in Met Blue and the repainting is a fascinating part of the phone's history!   And the paint appears to be in good condition.   
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893