News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Look what I just won!!

Started by finlover, October 08, 2009, 09:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150377178353&ssPageName=ADME:L:COSI:US:1123
( dead link 08-04-21 )

Looks all original to me.  Check out those cords!  Can't believe I got this--my limit was only $8 higher.  I think this one's a keeper--we'll see.

Dennis Markham

Nice phone Greg.  The cords appear to be in excellent shape.

LarryInMichigan

Please excuse my ignorance, but what makes this phone worth so much while I see most 500 C/Ds going for $10 or $20?  Is it the red color, the date, the original cords?  I have a beige 500 from 5-55 in good condition.  I didn't think that it was worth much.  It is missing the original line cord and ringer, which I foolishly removed 30 years ago as a youngster, and a small chunk unfortunately broke off of the bottom front edge of the shell.

Larry

bwanna

veeerrrynice :P

too bad about the grey cords & having to convert to a phone jack ::)
donna

Jester

I was watching that one, but just kept watching after it hit $53.00 earlier this afternoon.  That's a great price, but the two '57s with matching color cords will have to do right now.  Gray cords are for next year! ;)
Stephen

bingster

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 08, 2009, 09:57:31 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but what makes this phone worth so much while I see most 500 C/Ds going for $10 or $20?  Is it the red color, the date, the original cords? 

Hi Larry, phones from the 1950s are made out of a different plastic from the later ones.  They used a soft plastic in the 1950s, so any soft plastic phone is worth more than the later ones made from hard plastic, just because they're more rare than later ones. 

This particular phone also has grey cords, which were used in the first color sets, because they hadn't released color-matching cords for most colored phones at that point.  That might make for a mis-matched looking phone, but because those grey cords were only used at the beginning of color production, they're rare and sought after.  Any phone with those neutral grey cords is worth more than a similar phone with matching cords.

It also has a little to do with the color.  Red is always a popular color.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

Good buy!  Hope it all turns out to be original, sure looks that way. 

Dan/Panther

Boy! Oh! Boy!, Not only does Fin get top dollar when he sells his beautiful phones, he wins them at bargain basement prices.
Great find.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

finlover:

Now that you won such a beautiful red phone with  luxurious gray cords and a very hard to find brown bakelite plug, can I receive my inheritance now ..... while you are alive?

:'( :'( :'(
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Finlover;
There is a lot of merit, in what Jorge says, you will be able to see the joy your gracious gift has given him.
I think you ought to do it.

D/P

Dan/Panther

Bwanna;
Here is a good example of where Finlover would say "Bite Me...." :o :o
D/P

finlover

I'll even say it in Spanish:  Muerdeme, Jorge!

JorgeAmely

I guess I will have to wait longer.  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

Dan/Panther

My Dad had a favorite saying.
You sound like someone with a paper A**. :o :o :o ;D
I never really got the meaning of the words, but the idea was clear.
D/P

finlover

??? And I thought MY dad had some funny sayings! :D