News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 233G Put Back To Orginal

Started by Logan1, April 19, 2014, 04:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan1

I have another Western Electric 3 slot pay phone that needs some work on the wires. The wires are a mess, I want to wire this one back to orginal with the coin relay and the rest back to normal. I do not know where to start. So I should start at the line from the wall. If some body could tell me where the wires go it would appreciated.
Worked at Western Electric in Plymouth Mich

Logan1

Pictures for the 233G to put back to Orginal wireing.  Thanks

WesternElectricBen

Looks good! Does it have the old style key locks, or a replacement?

Ben

Phonesrfun

Let me first say that payphones are not as easy as, say a 500 set to hook up.  The 233 in particular was designed for a 685 subset, and needs a set of wires like inside wire with at least 6 conductors to go between the phone and the subset.  Sometimes people have put a network inside the phone, but that is a problem due to space limitations if the coin relay is still in the phone.

Can you be more specific as to what you mean by a "mess", and do you have a subset?
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Now I see there is an almost identical thread you posted in with pictures.  Are these one and the same?
-Bill G

Logan1

Logan1

Yes they are the same , new at this. I have a subset. I just do not no where the wires go . I wanted to make it work with coins. Thanks

--------------

EDIT:  the two similar topics were merged into this one

Phonesrfun

In order to have it work with coins you will need to buy a coin controller simulator.  A payphone used to be connected to a special payphone line that controlled when coins were collected or returned and started the dial tone when coins were deposited.  Since those lines no longer exist, a simulator is the only way to get the coin relay to function. 

Yoy can connect the phone to a regular line, but you would use it as a regular phone without a simulator.
-Bill G

Logan1

I have a subset  It may be better to do that. If I can get wired right. 

Phonesrfun

What model is your subset?

Can you read a wiring diagram or do you need more detailed instructions?
-Bill G

Logan1

685A not to good at reading diagrams.  May need help Thanks

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

First step, Wire the line cord to the subset.

One side of the line to L1 on the terminal strip, not the network.
Other side of the line to L2 on the terminal strip, not the network.

Wire goes from "C" on the network to L2 on the terminal strip.
Black ringer wire to L1 on the terminal strip
Red ringer wire to L2 on the terminal strip
Slate (Gray) ringer wire to "K" on the network
Slate/red ringer wire to "A" on the network

Next, inside the payphone:

Make sure there is a jumper wire between BBX and BB on the hook switch pile-up
Keep the coin relay unconnected at this point until you get a simulator. 

Next the connections between the pay phone and the subset:

You will need 5 conductors.  Color is not important as long as you can keep it straight in your own mind:

1.  Connect a wire from "TR" on the terminal strip at the top of the pay phone to terminal "R" on the network in the subset
2.  Connect a wire from "W" on the payphone hook switch to terminal "GN" (Not "G") on the network in the subset
3.  Connect a wire from "T" on the terminal strip at the top of the pay phone to terminal "BKB" on the network in the subset
4.  Connect a wire from "R" on the payphone hook switch to terminal "BB RR" on the network in the subset
5.  Connect a wire from "Y" on the payphone hook switch to terminal "L1" on the terminal strip in the subset.

Let us know your progress.
-Bill G

Logan1

Logan1

I hooked wires up and I get very low dial tone, all most can not here. I do not under stand no. three of you instructions that says wire from T on top terminal strip goes to BK on network in subset, I do not see BK in subset. Subset connections are 1 no marking  on first screw then 2-K-L1-L2-G.  Thanks