"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring a 293 (G)

Started by sebbel, December 07, 2012, 09:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on December 09, 2012, 12:33:04 AM
I don't have access to a digital camera right now. Dave, is there any way you could take some pictures of the transmitter parts on your N293GP when you have time?
Ok, my wife helped me walk over to the museum today, foot is a little better today....

Here are come shots of the mount on my 1950 N293GP...

Over the past 30 years or so, I have seen seven or eight of these which came from the Summerside exchange. All had the bulldog transmitter as this one.  Some had Siemens dials, and some NE dials, and if I remember correctly, one, an AE dial which is explained by the fact that these were dial-less when ordered - before the new dial exchange was activated in 1950, dials were installed.  

Yes, the bulldog won't line up with holes - the plate on the front did that.

This has become a pet story amongst Island Tel employees who were around at the time: When installed, dials were tied with stout cord so they couldn't be used until the cut-over. When the cut-over was done, customers were advised to cut the cord by radio and newspaper. The next day, Island Tel received a complaint from a lady who cut her cord, alright - the receiver cord, wondering why her phone didn't work! Service was despatched, and in short order, she was back in touch with her neighbours!

One must note: both the older exchange and the new dial exchange were common battery, and that is why the N293 was chosen. Later, of course, Uniphones were installed as replacement and new phones on the exchange until the 500 set came into common useage.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

This is a photo of the dial on my N293-GP.

As I mentioned, Island Tel bought these without dial, then added dials to them. When initially installed, they were equipped with an apparatus blank covering the empty hole.

"The dial or apparatus blank used with the Automatic Sets is not included as part of the set and must be specified additionally." - NE

This one sports a Phillips Electrical Works manufactured AE dial pending the cut-over to the new exchange in 1950. These dials were manufactured in Brockville, Ontario prior to 1954 when AE operations moved to the new plant on Strowger Blvd. Dials manufactured after 1954 were branded AECO.

You will find these with NE, AE, Siemens and other dials - whatever was easiest to get at the time the exchange was changed over to dial. Because of this, one should not be concerned with the dial mounted on an N293 - it was entirely normal to see a non-NE dial on them.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

sebbel

I just was given another dial 293. A N293G I've been looking for a wiring diagram for these but can find them on the TCI site. Do anyone have it?

Seb.
Seb.