News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ivory North H-Series Finally Reassembled

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 23, 2013, 08:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I bought my ivory plastic North H-series nearly 2 1/2 years ago (original post), and it had been sitting in pieces around the room until this evening.  I obtained a condenser and SL ringer a while back from Steve Hilsz, but I had been waiting to decide how to restore the gold plated parts and what kind of cords to use.  I decided that I need to start trying to clear out my project backlog, and this phone was one of the oldest items, and the most valuable, so I took some short cuts, and quickly put it all back together.  I removed the corrosion from the handset rings and finger stop the best I could without removing all of the remaining gold, and I used brown cloth WE cords.  The original cords were probably gold, and I will never find gold replacements.  I had been planning to buy ivory repro cords, but brown is closer to gold in color than ivory anyway.

The phone works, but there are nasty 'ping' and other noises from the receiver while dialing.  I will probably not bother to mess with the dial though because I don't want to risk breaking anything, and the plastic finger wheel is too fragile to tolerate much use.  I will probably not use this phone altogether.

Now I need to move onto some of the other phones and other things waiting to be restored.  Below is a picture of this phone on the shelf with some of its relatives.

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry...that is one fantastic phone!....Doug
Kidphone

wds

Very nice.  I like the one on the left also.
Dave

Contempra

Very nice phone Larry.. I like the one in the center and the next is the one on the left

Dennis Markham

Another beautiful job, Larry.  It looks great....as does the North sitting next to it.

Matilo Telephones

Looks great! In the pic I can see no oxidation whatsoever on the metal trimmings.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones