News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Black G1 WE500...

Started by twocvbloke, January 03, 2014, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

This is the one from my friend across the pond, was initially described as a '53 500, but he later told me that he swapped the base with a later one as the original base had a lot of problems (hookswitch and/or network issues) and it was before he knew how to replace those parts, but I don't mind, it's all fun... :D

but anyway, it's a mix of dates, the base is off a '71 500C/D (with a 500DM sticker on it from I think '82), the shell is from '61 (feels and sounds like Tenite) with black plungers, dial is '62, handset I'm not sure about but it's an all-bakelite (caps too) G1, handset cable says '60 on the anchor thing, receiver is 9-13-51, transmitter 6-19-57, so, yeah, it's a right mixed bag...  ;D

It does pose a dilemma for me though, cos my 500DM that started my interest in american phones is also a mixed bag, as it was modularised in '75, but the base is '57 and associated parts are based around that age, and I'm pondering merging the two so one is a 50's era phone and the other a 70's era phone, but I'm not sure at the moment, I think for now I'll just clean up the new boy and think about it...  ;D

Anyway, pictures (and it seems my photography skills were off today cos they look terrible!!):

twocvbloke

Second half of the pictures:

Nick in Manitou

As one who still has a lot to learn, I have to ask a question.

In the photo that shows the "61" molded into the plastic body - does that part of the impression, just above the "61" indicate the month it was manufactured?  In the photo it looks to me as if it is pointing to what would be 9 on a clock.  Does this indicate that it is a September 1961 body?

It seems to me that it is logical that this would be a correct assumption...but I have made assumptions before that have gotten me into trouble!

Thanks,
Nick

Contempra

I recognize mine twocvbloke with your description.. all is plastic but not the handset. it is all bakelite and the date is 1955...anyway this handset is heavy.

poplar1

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on January 03, 2014, 09:01:21 AM
As one who still has a lot to learn, I have to ask a question.

In the photo that shows the "61" molded into the plastic body - does that part of the impression, just above the "61" indicate the month it was manufactured?  In the photo it looks to me as if it is pointing to what would be 9 on a clock.  Does this indicate that it is a September 1961 body?

It seems to me that it is logical that this would be a correct assumption...but I have made assumptions before that have gotten me into trouble!

Thanks,
Nick

I believe it is the number of short lines around the edge of the clock that indicate the month--perhaps 12/61?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

twocvbloke

I think 12-61 sounds about right, the "Date clock" used on most injection-moulded plastic usually adds a notch, line or dot for the month that it was moulded in, and there's 12 lines, so, December 1961 sounds reasonable... :)

Been cleaning up the plastics and lubing the dial, and it's turned out reasonably well, all it really needs is the shell and dial face polishing up (the handset came out dull after washing, but a bit of something oily (well, erm, oil!!) and it shined up well, I have no Avon SSS to play with!!), I did try a bit of Peek polish (usually used on metals) on the back, but that resulted in a dull finish, though it got rid of the fine scratches from rough cleaning in it's previous life (doubt it was my friend's doing, he's pretty good at polishing things up!!), but I shall stop there before it ends up with a matte finish... ;D

I'm still pondering the idea of playing swapsies with the plastics from my other black 500 though... ???

twocvbloke

Thought I'd play a bit of "Spot the difference", but, it looks too easy here... ;D

(I haven't done the plastic swap though)