"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

White Line Cord?

Started by Lewes2, November 20, 2014, 03:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewes2

Looking for ideas or source:

I am making colored phones, primarily 302s, for several friends and family for which  I am using white curly handset cords. 

However, for the line cord,  I am looking for somewhat fat-ish cord I can cut to length, WHITE Vinyl.  Not interested in the flat silver stuff, or even the flat white stuff.  The flat cords just don't look right.   Looking for round white cords that will match somewhat the handset cords.  Even the round cord on a spool I bought in Lowes for adding extensions in the house is too skinny. 

Thoughts or help most appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck

HarrySmith

Steve Hilsz is selling NOS white line cords.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

The solid copper "inside wire" is fine for connecting a wall phone, or baseboard jack/connecting block, to the telephone line. However, it should not be used for handset cords or for line cords, which need to be flexible. Flexing a solid copper wire will eventually cause it to break.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Slal

Quote from: poplar1 on November 29, 2014, 12:54:13 PM
The solid copper "inside wire" is fine for connecting a wall phone, or baseboard jack/connecting block, to the telephone line. However, it should not be used for handset cords or for line cords, which need to be flexible. Flexing a solid copper wire will eventually cause it to break.

No argument there.  Esp. if Hilz has correct ones, but just curious. 

Lets say I want extra long 25' line cord for patio.  Solid (or stranded) conductors would be cumbersome, (and might even damage housing) but if secured to phone base & secured to connector block with a staple...  Where would breakage occur?

As said, just curious.  Like OP, it's an idea have been kicking around, but can only round line cords 12'

thx

--Bruce     

TelePlay

Quote from: Slal on November 30, 2014, 05:28:15 PM
Lets say I want extra long 25' line cord for patio.  Solid (or stranded) conductors would be cumbersome, (and might even damage housing) but if secured to phone base & secured to connector block with a staple...  Where would breakage occur?

Having watched a few old movies and TV shows that were set in a time frame after the candlestick and before the invention of the cordless phone, I seem to remember a waiter, or butler or someone similar working as an employee of the building, which had a large room or patio area, carrying a phone to the table and announcing a call for a person at the table. If that person agreed to take the call, the phone, with a standard short line cord, was plugged into a jack in the floor near the table and the phone answered. A floor jack at every table? I don't know. What did they do back in the day when line cords were short, other than get up and walk to the phone to take a call?

Slal

Quote from: TelePlay on November 30, 2014, 06:18:24 PM
Having watched a few old movies and TV shows that were set in a time frame after the candlestick and before the invention of the cordless phone, I seem to remember a waiter, or butler or someone similar working as an employee of the building, which had a large room or patio area, carrying a phone to the table and announcing a call for a person at the table. If that person agreed to take the call, the phone, with a standard short line cord, was plugged into a jack in the floor near the table and the phone answered. A floor jack at every table? I don't know. What did they do back in the day when line cords were short, other than get up and walk to the phone to take a call?

How did you know?  ; )

Forget what movie, but an upscale looking snow white 500 is 'served' by uniformed waiter to actress striking leggy pose on chase lounge by private swimming pool.  (Eva Marie Saint?) 

Maybe just Hollywood.  The wouldn't have *had* a cords that long?

Anyway, plug a good idea.  Thanks for tip.

--Bruce