News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson orange 500

Started by guitar1580, January 13, 2020, 04:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Glad i could be of some assistance, not my intention to ruin a deal, but Rather to promote what i consider the best choice.
One more thing, YES you will pay a premium for the Orange and the Lime Green 500 clones. But I just could not go without one of each.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

guitar1580

No problem Dan.  You didn't ruin the deal.  Her not willing to negotiate, and being unsure about packaging it were the issues.  We mutually agreed to call it off.

Vern P

Late on this. I pick orange and lime green phone for retail when I find them.  I have some orange parts and had Richard R. paint some parts I need to make full sets.
Vern

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Vern P on January 17, 2020, 01:36:50 AM
Late on this. I pick orange and lime green phone for retail when I find them.  I have some orange parts and had Richard R. paint some parts I need to make full sets.
Vern

Few and far between Vern. I think some of the rarest colors.
D/P

guitar1580

Update:  I just got an orange ITT 500.  Since the deal fell through on the SC that I originally mentioned, I've been watching the ebay auctions.  I snagged this one for $55 plus shipping, which is a little less than the original SC.

It is in nice condition, similar to ones I've seen for $125 and up.  The downside is – after a quick hookup and test, it does not yet function, so I do have a little troubleshooting to do.

I don't think I've ever had much more than a bad cord or bad connection on most old phones I've acquired over the years.

Tomorrow I plan on getting out the volt meter and checking the speaker, and checking the cords for continuity, shorts, etc.  If that doesn't turn anything up, I may have to get the schematic and see if it is wired correctly.

I noticed that the ringer only had the red & black wires connected, with the other two not connected.  There's also a capacitor wired to the ringer which may not be factory, so it looks like someone has been into it.

The seller had said that it was functioning when it was disconnected years ago.  There is a 30 day free return, but I'm confident that I'll get it working.

Here are the photos, uncleaned, as it arrived.  If anyone sees anything out of place with the wiring, please let me know.

Josh

Also:  I noticed that being 3 years newer than the one in Dan's comparison, '76 as compared to '73, it does not have the potted network.

Vern P

This network is correct for a ITT, the ringer looks odd. The good thing is the 500 is straight forward, but one wire out of place will not let it work. When I have been working on them, I have pulled my hair out, with one wire out of place.
Vern

rdelius

That is a tuned (freq) ringer. It will not work on a standard telephone line.

Dan/Panther

Josh;

The ITT you purchased is a later model, when ITT switched to the circuit board network.
I'm not familiar with the quality of the later models. My Orange and Lime green 500's are dated 72, and 73. I think someone said they switched to circuit board network late 70's or 1980. The reason it does not work, may be in the network. That is a weak spot in the later models.
Looking through some listings and articles, I also found a 73 Lime green SC, with a potted network  ?  There must be many more variations then I have run across before.

D/P

rdelius

What does not work on this telephone ?.The tuned ringer is wired for grounded ringing

Key2871

What I would do, is pull the ringer replace with a straight line ringer.
Take a known working line cord connect it to L1 and L2 see if you get a dial tone.
If not connect either line wire to RR and to C on the network.
This by passes the hook switch and if you don't get a dial tone it's most likely a bad network.
Using your VOM check the blue/green leads from the dial, for continuity.
If so it's making as it should with the dial at rest.
You can remove the handset try it with another phone set using that same type. If that works. It's looking as though the network is at fault.
I have one that will plug in, if you want it send me a PM. Just pay postage and it's yours.
I also have receiver elements and transmitters of ITT make.
KEN

guitar1580

Quote from: rdelius on January 31, 2020, 02:44:17 PM
What does not work on this telephone ?.The tuned ringer is wired for grounded ringing

I really only had a couple of minutes to fool with it yesterday.  I connected it to my test setup (modular jack with alligator clips on the other end), and it's totally dead.  I tried reversing the red & green, and still nothing.

Tonight, I had planned on eliminating the simple things like cords, bad handset speaker, etc.

Key,  Thanks for the info.  I will try that after I eliminate the possibility of bad cords, connections, etc.  ...and thanks for that offer.  I'll let you know if I need any of those parts.

Josh

Key2871

Polarity reversal would only make a difference on tone dial sets with not polarity guard.
But keep us up on your findings.
KEN

Western Bell

Quote from: rdelius on January 31, 2020, 02:44:17 PM

Waht does that mean? How do you khnow? Are you saying a freq ringer will work on 20hz if set special way? What's the dif between grounder ringing and what evr the the other type of ringing, not stated by naem other tahn grounded ringing, is it that wont ring the ringer?

rdelius

Thar ringer appears to be a 42 cycle ringer.This is not close to 20 or 30 cycle ringing. A set wired with a grounded ringer will not ring on a standard telephone line which is set up for bridging ringing .Note the ringer is wired with one wire on the yelllow lead. This was grounded in the old days. It can be put with the green lead for bridging but the ringer is still not supposed to respond to any freq other than what it is marked

andre_janew

A C4A from a Western Electric would, most likely, work on this phone.