News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Greink AE Desk Set

Started by TelePlay, March 15, 2016, 08:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

I'm on the fence on this one. Half of me says cool and the other says Mr. Yuck's relative, so it's posted here.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Automatic-Electric-Rotary-Phone-Pink-Turquoise-AE80-Telephone-Early-80s-Nice/111933086492

19and41

That phone makes me think of that frog toilet paper holder on the toilet paper commercials that sees all and forgets nothing.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Mr. Bones

John,

I also think that it is a cool phone, but just not quite sure how cool. ;)

I guess I'm also on "The Fence".

<fence>-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x-----x----x</fence>

Maybe if the colours were reversed? Maybe. I like phones in both colours, but can't rightly picture anyplace in my home of antiques that it would display well.

Probably my fault for having desirable classic things throughout; perhaps I shall shift the focus of my collecting? I shall have to  ruminate upon that for some time. ;) Okay, I'm done. Not gonna happen. ;D At least not anytime soon, LOL!!!

Best regards!

I'd wager a Guinness bopper it will find a home, though.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

TelePlay

Quote from: Mr. Bones on March 15, 2016, 09:31:18 PM
Maybe if the colours were reversed? Maybe.

I'd double the bet that there is a phone out there with reversed colors for where did this one come from without leaving it's "negative," or is this the negative? I'm not positive.

But the colors sure are sharp. Could even be a mid 50s auto collision, so to speak . . .  8)

WEBellSystemChristian

I believe this phone is/was owned by a forum member:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15838

John:
I love those Ramblers; Kenosha's finest 'cute car'! ;D

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Mr. Bones

Quote from: TelePlay on March 15, 2016, 10:17:59 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bones on March 15, 2016, 09:31:18 PM
Maybe if the colours were reversed? Maybe.

I'd double the bet that there is a phone out there with reversed colors for where did this one come from without leaving it's "negative," or is this the negative? I'm not positive.

But the colors sure are sharp. Could even be a mid 50s auto collision, so to speak . . .  8)

Agreed on all points, John.

I just' loves them '50's  pastel colours, grew up when they were only a few years old. :o

Thanks for the most excellent pics of the Metropolitans!!!

When I was a wee Lad, my Da' had a 48/49-ish Ambassador... (can't remember, stoopid CRS, been awhile)!! I recall, quite young, going with Da' to NE, getting pulled over by the NEHP for going well over a hundred, and advised that the next stretch of road contained some very bad curves, we ought to 'take it easy' through them, then be on our merry way. No ticket, no warning, even. Just friendly advice.

SIGH. those were the days, eh?

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

axil

Well i have to say im deeply hurt! To be honest though it is quite ugly.  But you never know what will sell on ebay. I was just gonna hang on to it but the odds of finding the exact opposite was pretty rare. Unless someone wants to swap me a matching turqoise case and caps for the same in pink or vise versa?
Oh and by the way the listing of this beauty has a lot of views and watchers for whatever reasons lol

dave

AE_Collector

I saw lots various coloured AE80's done that way by antique stores around here a few years ago. The main requirement is a good source of coloured AE's and around here they show up quite regularly. Since black 80's are likely the most common many of the two tones involved black with a colour. Axil's 80 is striking...or unique...or something. Someone will just have to have it I bet!

Terry

axil

Hi Terry did they actually come from the factory with the chrome dial and plunger buttons with these type of pastel colors?
As it really doesn't match well with the pastel type colors.

dave

AE_Collector

The very earliest coloured AE 80's had the chrome buttons and chrome dial fingerwheel but they very quickly came out with AE's first clear plastic fingerwheels for the coloured phones though the chromed plungers stuck around for awhile longer. The black 80's had the chrome buttons but continued to use the black metal fingerwheel for awhile longer before switching to plastic.

Terry

19and41

That color combination might be a good one for the kitchen, it reminds me a bit of this..
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Mr. Bones

Quote from: axil on March 16, 2016, 12:32:21 AM
Well i have to say im deeply hurt! To be honest though it is quite ugly. 
Dave,

It was never, most certainly, my intent to post anything hurtful. If I am the source of any discomfort, please, let me know, and I'll immediately edit, or delete my post. Or maybe you're just kidding? I can work with either, please let me know... ;)

But you never know what will sell on ebay.
True Dat ::)
Quote!
I was just gonna hang on to it but the odds of finding the exact opposite was pretty rare.
The most certain way to find the required parts is get rid of the phone, in my experience. Then, they will appear NOS, cheap, and no bidders. ;) D'Ohhh!!! ;D
QuoteOh and by the way the listing of this beauty has a lot of views and watchers for whatever reasons lol
dave
Reckon so. "People Are Strange. " (J. Morrison / R. Krieger, 1967)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

AE_Collector

Don't lose any sleep Bonesey (Christian: Am I spelling Bonesey correctly?)

I am almost certain that comment was very Tongue in Cheek.

Terry

axil

Quote from: Mr. Bones on March 16, 2016, 09:50:18 AM
Quote from: axil on March 16, 2016, 12:32:21 AM
Well i have to say im deeply hurt! To be honest though it is quite ugly. 
Dave,

It was never, most certainly, my intent to post anything hurtful. If I am the source of any discomfort, please, let me know, and I'll immediately edit, or delete my post. Or maybe you're just kidding? I can work with either, please let me know... ;)

But you never know what will sell on ebay.
True Dat ::)
Quote!
I was just gonna hang on to it but the odds of finding the exact opposite was pretty rare.
The most certain way to find the required parts is get rid of the phone, in my experience. Then, they will appear NOS, cheap, and no bidders. ;) D'Ohhh!!! ;D
QuoteOh and by the way the listing of this beauty has a lot of views and watchers for whatever reasons lol
dave
Reckon so. "People Are Strange. " (J. Morrison / R. Krieger, 1967)

Best regards!
Mr bones I am definitely joking in my comment "I am deeply hurt" as I have no problem with your post. I have sold some of the oddest stuff on ebay over the years. A friend of mine sold his tooth for over $700.00 because the shape of the root looked like a religious symbol!

best regards

dave

Mr. Bones

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 16, 2016, 11:00:07 AM
Don't lose any sleep Bonesey (Christian: Am I spelling Bonesey correctly?)

I am almost certain that comment was  ery Tongue in Cheek.

Terry
Bonesy is spelled just so, so you are correct, Terry.

I was (mostly) certain that all was in jest, but wanted to make sure that I had not posted anything that was injurious, or hurtful, to another forum member. ;)

My apologies, if I seem strange, in that regard. It actually matters, at least to me. ;D

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus