News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hideous Telephones

Started by Stephen Furley, August 04, 2009, 05:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Quote from: Owain on September 01, 2012, 03:08:34 PMIt doesn't sound like an American ringer (like they sound on the TV) - maybe it's just badly adjusted. The gap between the clapper and the gongs sounds wrong so it goes ringddddddd rather than ringggggg

Well yeah, that's cos it's the ITT/Cortelco style ball-bearing chucker ringer, they never sound right compared to a proper original (2)500 ringer... :D

Shame there's not really enough room to retrofit a proper ringer in there, it'd take some modification to make one fit...

Owain

Quote from: twocvbloke on September 02, 2012, 12:12:08 AM
Shame there's not really enough room to retrofit a proper ringer in there, it'd take some modification to make one fit...

I think there would be plenty of room to fit a GPO style ringer with 'flat' gongs. The dial PCB is a lot thinner than a rotary dial or a 782 press button unit.

But you can't make a bell ringer out of a boar's whatsit  and it would be a waste of a decent bell motor.

I could fix this inside though.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330783472900

dsk

At least it is a 2 gong ringer.
Putting in an older ringer will give another sound, but never the "exact right feeling", just because the resonance in the telephone itselves is different.

It seems to be one of the best at this thread.  :)

dsk

twocvbloke

Quote from: Owain on September 02, 2012, 05:11:13 PM
I think there would be plenty of room to fit a GPO style ringer with 'flat' gongs. The dial PCB is a lot thinner than a rotary dial or a 782 press button unit.

But you can't make a bell ringer out of a boar's whatsit  and it would be a waste of a decent bell motor.

I could fix this inside though.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330783472900

I was thinking more of fitting it with a proper 500-type ringer, but that would take some modification to make it all fit in place...  :D

I'm thinking of getting myself a directline phone now, just so I can have a play with it's guts... ;D

Owain

Quote from: twocvbloke on September 03, 2012, 03:00:16 AM
I'm thinking of getting myself a directline phone now, just so I can have a play with it's guts... ;D

It's a Geemarc Park Lane with added wheels ...

The Geemarc Mayfair is the 746 lookalike.

twocvbloke

Yeah, but you have to have the wheels, otherwise it's not a Direct Line phone... :D

Shame they didn't make it so that it had the old-style Direct Line horn, like they used to have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YGlgZZx75s&t=6m39s

:D

twocvbloke

Now these phones are just vile!!! :o

Spotted in a shop in Newcastle Upon Tyne in the Eldon Square shopping centre.... :o

Owain

way aye mon, I think I want to joomp oof the Tyne Bridge mon

twocvbloke

Quote from: Owain on September 03, 2012, 03:46:19 PM
way aye mon, I think I want to joomp oof the Tyne Bridge mon

Hmm, a geordie-caribbean crossover, sounds wrong.... :D

TelePlay

Actually, not a hideous phone but one just missing something to make it a very nice '64 WE 500.

Unfortunately, seller claims to have done this to more than one phone. >:(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160880346229 ( dead link 02-21-21 )

poplar1

This may be '54 instead of '64, because of the suede feet and 3 mounting screws for the dial.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

twocvbloke

Quote from: poplar1 on September 09, 2012, 01:19:52 PM
This may be '54 instead of '64, because of the suede feet and 3 mounting screws for the dial.

Zooming in on the pic of the side of the network, I'd have to say you're right, that is 6-54, not 6-64, so it's older than it was guessed to be...  :o

And yeah, that's an ugly modification, I'd prefer to have a dial blank, or a dial, not some cheap pound shop/dollar store clock shoved in the dial opening... :-\

HarrySmith

Seems like a wasted talent. He did a great job of cleaning up the rest of the phone, looks real nice except for that "modification". Even the feet and the base look new! What a shame :(
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on September 09, 2012, 01:19:52 PM

My error. I didn't blow up the network date, just looked like 64 to me at a glance. The suede feet give it away as being older. And the dial mount.

Being a '54, that would make the conversion an even greater crime. Can't wait to see what other phones he has "chopped" up.

At $5, a '54 dial and plate would seem to be all that is needed to restore the phone. Is it worth it?

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on September 09, 2012, 01:48:14 PMAt $5, a '54 dial and plate would seem to be all that is needed to restore the phone. Is it worth it?

It's tempting for me, and it's on the wrong side of the Atlantic... :D